Brisas Boquetenas.   Took a shower in the downspout today with a brief rain shower we had.   Refreshing.   Got several buckets for reserve.  Toilets will get flushed in the morning.  We still have some water in our tank but it's getting pretty low. 

Is this what we have to look forward to with the new water project?.....or is something else happening.  Curious minds want to know.

Alison

Tanks very much Alison, we're monitoring.

If I'm not mistaken, the current outages are due to repair issues to the existing system.

There is a lot of work that can be accomplished by the contractor on the new systems without service interruptions.

https://www.facebook.com/Alcaldía-De-Boquete-2014-2019-566693683441469/?fref=nf

The comments by some locals aren't too flattering.

image.jpg

Edited by Keith Woolford
  • Upvote 1

Brisas report Tues 6/28

Still no water.  Tank near empty now, using our water in it just for drinking and cooking.    Buckets from the rain yesterday flushed toilets but they are now empty.   Water IS coming is at the Bocci court here.   Filled up this morning.   This is a good thing !

Edited by Brundageba
typo

Has anyone thought about diverting rain water from the roof to your tanks?  Seems to me it would be as clean (if not cleaner) than the stuff coming through the pipes.  At this time of year I doubt there are many contaminants on a roof, after all it gets washed every day.....

8 hours ago, JohnF13 said:

Has anyone thought about diverting rain water from the roof to your tanks?  Seems to me it would be as clean (if not cleaner) than the stuff coming through the pipes.  At this time of year I doubt there are many contaminants on a roof, after all it gets washed every day.....

When Steve Walker laid out our landscaping back in 2007, the first thing he did was install underground pipes to catch water from the downspouts and direct them to four tanks located below a rock wall (also installed to forestall drainage issues). The tanks, which are interconnected, provide irrigation to the back of the property with the aid of a pump. But in the rare event of an extended water outage causing the main reserve tank to run dry, we have access to this "roof" water. We have been very pleased with this system.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Brundageba said:

Bonnie...What happens when they get full...is there a  drain of some sort?  What's the total capacity?  When we enter the dry season...how long do the tanks last you?

Yes, there's a pipe that drains into the ditch on the main road. I'm not sure of the capacity; there are four of the large water reserve tanks.

They have never run dry. But we top them off with the hose during the dry season. We are seldom without water here in Palo Alto, the "green" side of Boquete. We have a reasonably reliable water supply via a system allegedly installed by the Peace Corps back in the sixties or seventies. The most important function the tanks serve is irrigating the upper back part of my garden via a faucet and irrigation system that Steve also installed. But it's nice to know they're there in the event of an extended water shortage.

• Upvote 1

By the end of the dry season my yard looks like a desert.  We have shrub beds, no grass...gravel. Plants that survive are the keepers...like Ixora, Crotons,Alamandas, and a few that are great without water I don't know the names of. The peanut grass (Mani) stays green with a splash of water a few times a week...so that works for us.   Our lot is so small we have zero room for a system like you have...unfortunately.

Your reserve tanks are a GREAT idea.  Double thumbs up !

2016 HOUSE Front late sun.JPG