9 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

An article from today's LaPrensa

Boquete, history repeats itself

This is a rebuttal to the national media reports of chaos in Boquete from local broadcaster Roger Guerra Bianco of Radio Chiriqui.

We greet you from the bridge of the world

Yesterday we saw a video report about the state of the streets, it was more a series of interviews with two people from Boquete, but the images that were repeatedly passed, were from a ghost town, and then in the networks, I saw the opinion of a resident who invited others to write and publish videos and photos of the good things of Boquete that are many, and today I am here to talk about this wonderful valley that houses generous people from all over the world.

If we residents continue repeating the negative of the situation, we are doing a great injustice to our beloved district, leave the sick negativism, and let us start to act, believe, and create an environment with how much Boquete has given us, because this situation of the streets is only temporary and I lived in Panama City.

Let's stop publishing so much propaganda, which in no way helps Boquete, think and act with faith, that the worst is over and good times will come, where we will remember all this as past and learn to never happen again, but do not repeat like birds we all know, and cooperate with the most affected in this temporary situation, because Boquete does have something to write about, and I invite everyone to come and know the many beautiful and natural things that our district has, that do not have anything to do with the state of the streets. If we publish only the negative, then the tourists will go to another destination ... Boquete if you have someone who writes ...

And you ... What do you think?

From the bridge of the world we said goodbye ...

This is an excerpt from a recent LaPrensa article which, in part, talks about the contract history and new addendum.

Contract history

In January 2015, Conades, an entity attached to the Ministry of the Presidency, published in Panama Compra the public act for the project. Two months later, in March, it was awarded to the Asociación Accidental Aguas de Boquete, formed by the companies Constructora Urbana S.A. (Cusa) and Administrator of Construction Projects, S. A. (Aprocosa).

After a series of complaints from companies that did not benefit from the tender, in June 2015 the order to proceed to the Asociación Aguas de Boquete was delivered. In general terms, the contract established that the construction phase was to finish in the first quarter of 2018, while the operation and maintenance phase of the health system network would arrive until 2020.

The consortium did not meet the date. Therefore, last September an addendum of time was included to the contract -of 800 days-, which implies that the construction phase must conclude in March 2019, and the operation and maintenance of the sanitation network will be extended until 2022.

Why was the addend approved? According to documents that rest in Panama Compra, part of the delay is due to the fact that the approval of the environmental impact study by the Ministry of Environment took five months.

Another aspect taken into consideration was that there were problems to buy the land where the treatment system would be built and where it would cross the sewage system in communities such as Valle Escondido. In addition, the consortium had to rehabilitate the streets in Boquete.

According to the most recent Conades report (September), the project is 90% complete and authorities expect the streets to be ready for November 28, the date on which Boquete is the host of the main parade to celebrate independence each year. from Spain.

Impotence and losses

In the middle of this scenario are the merchants and transporters, who say that they had never faced an economic crisis like the one they have experienced since the work began. The reports of the Boquete Chamber of Commerce indicate that, since 2015, its members have a reduction in their income of between 50% and 60%. Some, per month, do not even make a profit.

For this area of the country it is a strong blow, if one takes into account that its engine is tourism, together with agricultural production. In this regard, the Tourism Authority of Panama states that Boquete receives an average of 400,000 tourists per year, including foreigners and nationals. However, the business association argues that this figure barely reaches about 150 thousand today.

Eliécer González, president of the Chamber, emphasizes that there are about 100 restaurants and 80 lodging places in the district, between hotels and hostels. "Some owners sorbreviven with savings, others have closed and others have had to reduce staff," he said without detailing.

This week, transporters carried out two road closures in Boquete, in protest against the state of the streets. Miguel Castillo, transporter, businessman and resident of Boquete, says that not even the worst natural disasters caused by the overflow of the Caldera River, in 1970 and 2008, overcome the crisis they face.

In the case of Castillo, he owns a hostel and the last month says he has not generated more than $ 100. The crisis has motivated a campaign in social networks in which the boqueteños invite to go at least once a week to a trade and consume, as a way of being in solidarity.

The explanation

Manuel Soriano, director of Conades, said he was aware of the malaise of the population of Boquete and asked for patience, since, at this moment, the project has "92% progress". "We need to start the last phase, which corresponds to the center of Boquete," said Soriano, who alleged that from January to March 2016, 2017 and 2018, work on the main street of the district was suspended, because it was high season of tourism.

The official explained that the sanitary pipes go through the central axis of the streets and the potable water pipes along the edge of the road, which implies breaking the whole road. He indicated that they are speeding up the works for the high tourist season, which starts at the end of next November. He added that the weather in Boquete does not help them because of the rains of the season.

"I hope to have this work in 100% in March 2019," said Soriano, and compared this work with what happens in Colón, Santiago de Veraguas and David, also in Chiriqui, where similar projects are executed. See tomorrow how this work affects the health of the population of Boquete and other urban problems in the district.

https://impresa.prensa.com/panorama/Obras-paralizan-economia-Boquete_0_5147485281.html

I am doing my very best to be upbeat about this. It's difficult, however, when every day, for so long a period of time, it is a struggle to get to town and through town. I have to say, however, that it looks like they finally are working at full steam. I feel so sorry for Boquete businesses.

In my opinion Bonnie, those businesses which have toughed it out will benefit in the end from improved, consistent, treated, potable water delivery. 

Once the sanitary system is complete, the image of the town is going to immediately improve without odours eminating from streams and sewer grates in front of restaurants, among other things.

There is also the benefit of re-paved streets.

Not 100% sure, but I don’t think any downtown businesses have closed that wouldn't have anyway, but for other reasons. 

The Fiestas Patrias holidays are Monday and Tuesday so there will likely be traffic delays of a different nature on those days.

Edited by Keith Woolford

I don’t disagree, Keith. I’m thankful for the project itself. My beef is how haphazardly it has been handled over the past few years. I don’t perceive there having been much planning from one day to the next, resulting in way too many delays, inconveniences, and potholed roads. Those of us living north of town got and are getting the worst of it because it’s impossible to avoid downtown to get anywhere. And now we have the holiday season upon us that will exacerbate the traffic problems.

From the article on Via Argentina: " The group insists that it is not opposed to restorations and repairs on the road and public services, but to the way it has been done." My point exactly.

One question: are there no built-in penalties for contracts that exceed their promised time of completion? This is a real motivator, in my opinion. Had there been threatened penalties associated with this project, I doubt we would had to wait for a visit from President Varela and a near revolt by downtown merchants to get this project moving.

Edited by Bonnie

I spent 12 years of my working career immersed in the world of engineering/construction contracts. Negotiating incentive/penalty provisions such as you suggest is part of almost every deal. My guess is that the contract negotiating skills on the government side are as scarce as the project management skills are on the contractor side.

These are shark-infested waters, and the turnover in Panamanian administrations caused by the political pendulum almost guarantees that the government will be at a perpetual disadvantage.

• Upvote 2

On 10/25/2018 at 8:17 PM, Bonnie said:

I don’t disagree, Keith. I’m thankful for the project itself. My beef is how haphazardly it has been handled over the past few years. I don’t perceive there having been much planning from one day to the next, resulting in way too many delays, inconveniences, and potholed roads. Those of us living north of town got and are getting the worst of it because it’s impossible to avoid downtown to get anywhere. And now we have the holiday season upon us that will exacerbate the traffic problems.

No built-in penalty clause. Fourth time the same spot has been dug up near our intersection. ☹️

5 hours ago, Uncle Doug said:

So, we have a completion date of late November and a completion date of March of next year.   I think I am probably safe in assuming that this won't be done anytime BEFORE March of next year.

I think we’ll see Calle Central completed in time for the holiday festivities. Everything else? Who knows? The pressure will be off from the merchants.

Just for fun, here's a look at a few other construction projects that missed the deadline.

image.png.80426df46c02eee3c5fb3b403bddf9bd.png

The Sagrada Familia Basilica - Barcelona, Spain

Easily one of the world's most drawn-out modern construction projects. Construction of the still uncompleted gothic and art nouveau–style church commenced in 1882 with Catalan architect Antoni Gaudi taking over its design in 1883.  When he passed away in 1926, less than a quarter of the project was complete (Gaudi once said this was partially because of his client "not being in much of a hurry").

image.png.07e8d0320f795c28d6b66e0dd03fdf8b.png

Sydney Opera House; Sydney, Australia

Bad weather and other unforeseen woes slowed construction almost immediately. Then, in 1966, a clash between Utzon and Australia's new government led to the architect's resignation. He vacated the country with his family and left behind an incomplete shell. A team of new architects eventually completed the opera house and it officially opened in 1973, albeit 10 years after its initial completion date and at a cost of $102 million—more than 14 times the original budget.

image.png.61498380819131c22959e72ef51c6026.png

The Big Dig - Boston, MA

By the time of the CA/T's completion in December 2007 (surpassing its initial completion date by nine years), it had become America's most expensive highway project, costing $14.6 billion—$22 billion including interest.

image.png.3d919c69dfb5e18833f765eabed752ee.png

San Francisco–Oakland Bay Bridge; California

The 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake set into motion the construction of a new self-anchored suspension bridge, one that would eventually surpass its initial $1.1 billion budget by more than $5 billion and take five years longer to build than planned. After work on the 2047-foot span began in 2002, welding issues, political battles over its design, and the failure of dozens of bolts connecting portions of the bridge deck to concrete columns plagued its construction. Finally, the Bay Bridge's new eastern span opened for traffic on Sept. 3, 2013.

image.png.b0aea0d9192fffa56241f5a8839bfd52.png

Second Avenue Subway; New York

New York City's Second Avenue Subway has been a bane in Gotham's side since 1929, when the idea for a rapid-transit line beneath Second Avenue first came to fruition. Often referred to as the line that time forgot, it has incurred a series of starts and stops—mostly due to low funds and construction issues, such as the delayed delivery of a tunnel-boring machine—for nearly a century.

As a counter-example, I consider the construction of the initial Hong Kong subway to be a model. A 16-kilometer new underground metro was approved in 1972, but construction did not start until almost four years later -  and the project came in ahead of schedule and under budget. This, in one of the densest rural environments one can imagine.

The secret: they didn't turn a shovel until every last engineering drawing had been completed, including not only right-of-way, but also design of the railcars, station equipment, fare collection systems and linkages between sub-projects. Everything was put up for bid and committed in advance, including logistics of delivery. A marvel of project management.

Of course the British Colonial government was fairly authoritarian when it came to matters of eminent domain and squawking by the affected merchants...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Keith Woolford said:

Just for fun, here's a look at a few other construction projects that missed the deadline.

image.png.80426df46c02eee3c5fb3b403bddf9bd.png

The Sagrada Familia Basilica - Barcelona, Spain

Easily one of the world's most drawn-out modern construction projects. Construction of the still uncompleted gothic and art nouveau–style church commenced in 1882 with Catalan architect Antoni Gaudi taking over its design in 1883.  When he passed away in 1926, less than a quarter of the project was complete (Gaudi once said this was partially because of his client "not being in much of a hurry").

image.png.07e8d0320f795c28d6b66e0dd03fdf8b.png

Sydney Opera House; Sydney, Australia

Bad weather and other unforeseen woes slowed construction almost immediately. Then, in 1966, a clash between Utzon and Australia's new government led to the architect's resignation. He vacated the country with his family and left behind an incomplete shell. A team of new architects eventually completed the opera house and it officially opened in 1973, albeit 10 years after its initial completion date and at a cost of $102 million—more than 14 times the original budget.

image.png.61498380819131c22959e72ef51c6026.png

The Big Dig - Boston, MA

By the time of the CA/T's completion in December 2007 (surpassing its initial completion date by nine years), it had become America's most expensive highway project, costing $14.6 billion—$22 billion including interest.

image.png.3d919c69dfb5e18833f765eabed752ee.png

San Francisco–Oakland Bay Bridge; California

The 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake set into motion the construction of a new self-anchored suspension bridge, one that would eventually surpass its initial $1.1 billion budget by more than $5 billion and take five years longer to build than planned. After work on the 2047-foot span began in 2002, welding issues, political battles over its design, and the failure of dozens of bolts connecting portions of the bridge deck to concrete columns plagued its construction. Finally, the Bay Bridge's new eastern span opened for traffic on Sept. 3, 2013.

image.png.b0aea0d9192fffa56241f5a8839bfd52.png

Second Avenue Subway; New York

New York City's Second Avenue Subway has been a bane in Gotham's side since 1929, when the idea for a rapid-transit line beneath Second Avenue first came to fruition. Often referred to as the line that time forgot, it has incurred a series of starts and stops—mostly due to low funds and construction issues, such as the delayed delivery of a tunnel-boring machine—for nearly a century.

Respectfully, Keith, I don't think any of these monumental projects legitimately can be compared to the Boquete water/sewer project.

Come live on the north or east side of town, and I'd be willing to bet that your point of view would change.

1 hour ago, Bonnie said:

Respectfully, Keith, I don't think any of these monumental projects legitimately can be compared to the Boquete water/sewer project.

Come live on the north or east side of town, and I'd be willing to bet that your point of view would change.

The post is prefaced by  "just for fun" and no point of view was expressed.

I realize that you were being light hearted, Keith, but I can't even manage a smile about this anymore. Sorry.

On the good side, workers were on site at the Panamonte Bridge on this Sunday morning. It's showing signs of imminent completion, which will make a huge difference for those of us living in Palo Alto and Jaramillo.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree upfront that the roadways in Boquete are [slowly] getting better. However, I have concerns about the long term viability of some of the repaved roads. For instance, here are two pictures taken yesterday showing an edge of a street (behind the car lot that is behind where Banisto used to be located), and the edge of the pavement is already eroding from rain activity. Toward the top center of the first picture where there is a faint image of a car there is a section of the roadway itself (not the edge) that has literally disintegrated. I estimate that missing pavement area conservatively to be about 40 to 50 square feet in size.

Are we getting quality road work?

2018-11-22-16_58_14.thumb.jpg.5a8bc148e0e155cfba6a5bbcc3aaef22.jpg

2018-11-22 16.56.13.jpg

• Sad 1

It would seem that cement ditches on the side of the road would be added eventuality .   Lateral connection lines have to be dug correct?.  My hunch is they left the sides of the road like that because it's not a completed project.

Also:    Some of the drop offs on the sides are scary deep.  The one that comes to mind is on the corner of the intersection on the road behind Los Establos.  Bad intersection.   We will all have to be mighty careful for awhile.  Bill scratched our brand new car just trying to get our of a tight parking space.  I was not a happy camper and neither was he after my " I told you so" squawking.    I think marital counseling services needs to come along with this road project !  

Edited by Brundageba
  • Upvote 1

Alison, your comments about the "drop offs" is another main concern. I didn't mention it in my posting because I get taken to task for being "too negative".  Not only can vehicles become a victim of the sharp and deep drop offs, but pedestrians can as well. Try walking from across the street into any of several of the businesses on Avenida Princpal here in Boquete. Not only scary, but down right dangerous.

A dear friend of ours hit a fellow who tripped on the uneven sides of the road trying to cross the street in the middle of Boquete.   The man stumbled & fell right in front of our friends car.  The man died.  Our friend was taken directly to jail.  In the end it was considered an accident, but the case was left open and hanging.   I mean consider that!  The solution for stumbling over uneven roadsides and the control of rainwater flow are both issues of concern.  One is not exclusive of the other.

• Upvote 3