We all await answers to the big questions: 1) pipe size in a growing community  2) Sewage processing in a valley that floods. How and where exactly will this sewage plant be constructed. 3) Plant?  Will there be a plant ?  What exactly are these tubs of water reserve spoken of?   Settling tanks?   I remain a bit puzzled still.  Hopefully more will come from engineers in order that we fully understand.

• Upvote 1

An interesting sidebar piece of information. Now I am curious: if the national level government is funding sanitation projects in various parts of Panama, but specifically Chiriqui is mentioned nowhere on the list, then who is funding the project here in Boquete? The answer may be in the earlier postings in this thread, but, if so, that information escapes me.

Tender: Sanitation Units for $7 million

The Ministry of the Presidency of Panama is inviting bids for the construction of 1,904 sanitation units in the provinces of Veraguas and Colon.

Friday, August 5, 2016

Panama Government Purchase 2016-0-03-0-03-LP-022299:

"Construction of 1037 sanitation units  (includes 4 special units) in the districts of La Encantada, Nuevo Chagres, Salud, and Palmas Bellas and Piña, in the district of Chagres, province of Colon."

The deadline for receipt of bids is August 30, 2016

Reference value: $3.951.400

See Tender

Panama Government Purchase 2016-0-03-0-09-LP-022301:

"Construction of 867 sanitation units (including 17 special units) in the districts of La Colorada, Edwin Fabrega and Canto del Llano, district of Santiago, province of Veraguas."

The deadline for receipt of bids is August 30, 2016

http://www.centralamericadata.com/en/article/main/Tender_Sanitation_Units_for_7_million

1 hour ago, Bud said:

An interesting sidebar piece of information. Now I am curious: if the national level government is funding sanitation projects in various parts of Panama, but specifically Chiriqui is mentioned nowhere on the list, then who is funding the project here in Boquete? The answer may be in the earlier postings in this thread, but if so that information escapes me.

http://www.centralamericadata.com/en/article/main/Tender_Sanitation_Units_for_7_million

At a meeting last week with the mayor Santa Lucia (which will benefit from a portion of the funds), we were told that the national government is funding the Boquete project.  It is probably not listed in the above tender because it is no longer out for bid; it has been approved already.  We were told that Santa Lucia will be tacked on to the potable water treatment project and that we will have new lines, giving us water that should meet WHO guidelines for drinking water.  Finally.  Santa Lucia will not, however, be a part of the sewer system.

On 8/8/2016 at 6:50 PM, Deborah said:

It [the Boquete water project] is probably not listed in the above tender because it is no longer out for bid; it has been approved already.

Deborah,

Thanks for the clarification. My feeble mind simply did not consider that the Boquete water project was no longer out to bid. Duh on my part.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is year 2 of a 5 year project. I would bet that the streets will be torn up for a long time.

At the moment they are installing the main lines of a network.

Once that's all done and the treatment plants have been constructed, each individual home and business will have to be connected.

Edited by Keith Woolford

• 5 months later...

A couple of days ago, everywhere I turned, the road was blocked.  I kept going different directions, trying to fine a route out of town.  There was none.  I felt like I was in Groundhog Day or an episode of The Twilight Zone.  Finally a road worker directed me to turn around and go the wrong way on a one-way street to make my escape.  Go downtown at your peril.  Three more years of this? Ouch!

• Upvote 2

Judy, when I voiced similar concerns recently about street blockages the result was that I was taken to task via email messages direct to my inbox for my lack of understanding of the situation. Hopefully you will not get the same feedback.

It seems to me that a bit better planning, advance notification, and signage is warranted. We have been led to believe that Mayor Walker is getting similar feedback from the residents in this area (obviously the case, given Keith's posting just above), and further that there are some announcements on local radio stations.

One of the owners of a business in Boquete, that we are clients with, said that they were told no street paving under this administration. The cost of paving were not in the water improvement budget. The next administration....in two years is suppose to fund the money for the street paving. Crazy? TIP!!! Going into Boquete is a last resort. Look how well Ivan and Dorado are doing business wise!

24 minutes ago, TwoSailors said:

One of the owners of a business in Boquete, that we are clients with, said that they were told no street paving under this administration. The cost of paving were not in the water improvement budget. The next administration....in two years is suppose to fund the money for the street paving. Crazy? TIP!!! Going into Boquete is a last resort. Look how well Ivan and Dorado are doing business wise!

Not everyone lives on the south side of town.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, TwoSailors said:

I would think the 23-25 million dollars Varlea gave to Boquete for the upgrade of the water system and "new sewer system" will cover the entire project. We were told yesterday that the street repairs and piping would be done in six months for the sewer system. I will NOT BANK on that. PVC, glue and fittings are not that expensive, labor is not high hear, equipment is relatively high, engineering that I've seen so far Can Not be that expensive, management of the project will be a serious cost over run if you have watched them dig up streets two times correcting mistakes. The biggest problem I see after completion will be the junction boxes (possibly collapse). I have seen some of them hand made from blocks. I don't understand why they didn't use a manufactured concrete junction boxes (maybe they are now). I'm afraid the 6 inch feeder lines will be problematic down the road, If it is a forced main which I doubt it will be----then it would be okay. It appears the lines have been engineered for down hill gravity flow all the way to South Bajo Boquete. I haven't seen a construction manager anywhere on the job. A forced main will require back pressure valves and grinder pumps at every entry point to the main lines. If grinder pumps are not used the main 6 inch line will be clogged all of the time. I haven't seen one installed yet. If this is a build as you go project (which it appears to be) there are major problems ahead. On a good note, everyone  will have a backup Septic Tank.(hopefully)I watched a small city such as Boquete do a entire city upgrade on the sewer. It was actually a new install. Everything was changed. But, they did it in sections in a logical order. Then they would move onto another section. The engineers on the Boquete project or the construction managers missed the boat on planning the construction. The city's businesses were never thought about or they would have managed the project accordingly. Just an observation.

I can live with what ever they do. The only complaint I have is the damage to cars undersides and mechanical issues caused by the wacos. Gravel works wonders for holes. They have teased the public with a little gravel but I have YET to see a waco filled and leveled. Such is life in Boquete.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Hil said:

I would think the 23-25 million dollars Varlea gave to Boquete for the upgrade of the water system and "new sewer system" will cover the entire project. We were told yesterday that the street repairs and piping would be done in six months for the sewer system. I will NOT BANK on that. PVC, glue and fittings are not that expensive, labor is not high hear, equipment is relatively high, engineering that I've seen so far Can Not be that expensive, management of the project will be a serious cost over run if you have watched them dig up streets two times correcting mistakes. The biggest problem I see after completion will be the junction boxes (possibly collapse). I have seen some of them hand made from blocks. I don't understand why they didn't use a manufactured concrete junction boxes (maybe they are now). I'm afraid the 6 inch feeder lines will be problematic down the road, If it is a forced main which I doubt it will be----then it would be okay. It appears the lines have been engineered for down hill gravity flow all the way to South Bajo Boquete. I haven't seen a construction manager anywhere on the job. A forced main will require back pressure valves and grinder pumps at every entry point to the main lines. If grinder pumps are not used the main 6 inch line will be clogged all of the time. I haven't seen one installed yet. If this is a build as you go project (which it appears to be) there are major problems ahead. On a good note, everyone  will have a backup Septic Tank.(hopefully)I watched a small city such as Boquete do a entire city upgrade on the sewer. It was actually a new install. Everything was changed. But, they did it in sections in a logical order. Then they would move onto another section. The engineers on the Boquete project or the construction managers missed the boat on planning the construction. The city's businesses were never thought about or they would have managed the project accordingly. Just an observation.

I can live with what ever they do. The only complaint I have is the damage to cars undersides and mechanical issues caused by the wacos. Gravel works wonders for holes. They have teased the public with a little gravel but I have YET to see a waco filled and leveled. Such is life in Boquete.

Hil

Usually a contract like this include all the repairs needed in the street and roads.  I have not seen the contract but surely it is included.   The major and all the people of Boquete should be very careful and watch what the contractor is doing and claim that the roads be repaired accordingly before the contractor finished and leave.  Support the major regarding this subject and be ready.

I dont know, also, who is the government agency who should do Inspection of the jobs.  The contractor couldnt present any account for payment if they dont have the ok from the engineer inspection.  It is possible that the Major and Authorities of the Municipio know who they are.  All the business organizations and citizens should be concerned and ask when something is not seen accordingly.   

Lets remember that in bidding projects the winner of the job is the contractor who gave the lowest price.  It is bad because that contractor will try to cut expenses and that means it will be lower quality.  

Junction boxes could be made of concrete blocks... but, here is always the but...the blocks should be of good quality.  They should have steel passing through the holes, the joints should be made of high quality mortars, the holes in the block should be filled with a good quality cementitious mortars and at least the inner side should have a waterproofed plaster.  

At the end the whole responsability falls in the inspection company of the government agency.  They should be checking that all the jobs have to be done according to the specifications and with known and good construction practices.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Roger B said:

Hil

Usually a contract like this include all the repairs needed in the street and roads.  I have not seen the contract but surely it is included.   The major and all the people of Boquete should be very careful and watch what the contractor is doing and claim that the roads be repaired accordingly before the contractor finished and leave.  Support the major regarding this subject and be ready.

I dont know, also, who is the government agency who should do Inspection of the jobs.  The contractor couldnt present any account for payment if they dont have the ok from the engineer inspection.  It is possible that the Major and Authorities of the Municipio know who they are.  All the business organizations and citizens should be concerned and ask when something is not seen accordingly.   

Lets remember that in bidding projects the winner of the job is the contractor who gave the lowest price.  It is bad because that contractor will try to cut expenses and that means it will be lower quality.  

Junction boxes could be made of concrete blocks... but, here is always the but...the blocks should be of good quality.  They should have steel passing through the holes, the joints should be made of high quality mortars, the holes in the block should be filled with a good quality cementitious mortars and at least the inner side should have a waterproofed plaster.  

At the end the whole responsability falls in the inspection company of the government agency.  They should be checking that all the jobs have to be done according to the specifications and with known and good construction practices.

Yes, transparency would stop a lot of this under management, unprofessional engineering, and unskilled work. It will cost a fortune down the road and be problematic in all of the houses and businesses connected to the system.

35 minutes ago, Roger B said:

Hil

The government agency overseeing the project is CONADES.  http://www.conades.gob.pa/

The design and bidding process for the project was reported as being lengthy, detailed, and transparent. The Ministry of Finance will be the entity making payments to the contractors in accordance with progress reports. The town of Boquete itself did not receive any funds for the project.

1 hour ago, TwoSailors said:

Hil,

Sounds like they should've had you as the project manager! Your information was an education...thanks.

Sailer, "this ain't rocket science." Two things to remember in piped sewer systems, stinks goes up in the air (at the treatment plant and vented out of the house usually through the roof) and water, poop, and objects are pumped to the treatment plant or gravity fed down hill----UNLESS pumped uphill. Treatment is another story. I can't wait for the new smell in Boquete. You can bet they did not include the price of  a scrubber. Scrubber; a system to prevent smell and some corrosion. Also, if they don't treat the water to a potable state they will have to sprinkle the liquid on land and let the land purify it before it gets back into the aquafer. Another problem with a sprinkle waste water system here is rain, run off and lava rock. It's going to be a challenge. I don't know of another city in Panama that has EVER installed a new and complete sewer system all at one time. This will have a huge learning curve for future use. I'm sure the mayor has a responsibility with the contractors.

Solid waste is another story. It can be used for fill in certain areas. We have a golf course built on top of a solid waste site back home. The also use the methane gas for heat and lights on the golf course. And NO SMELL. Septic tank solid waste will be the same. It has to be moved out of the tank sooner or later.

Edited by Hil