I Want My Country Back!

• Administrators
On June 16, 2016 at 10:11 AM, Gordon Bakke said:

Obama and Hillary taking my guns

Islamic extremists!

Oooooo....

Oh, fer Christ's sake, I thought I was on that OTHER site!

Don't ban me, Bro.

Gordon, et al,

I am waxing philosophical here, which is permitted in this specific forum. What I write here is not directed at any specific member or any specific post or any specific subject matter. (Rest easy, WryAwry.)

In my routine review of CL's content (I try to read everything newly posted on CL on an at least once-a-day basis as part of good site administration procedure), I read your topic. Musings is the only forum on CL that permits your subject matter. Had you posted this topic in any other forum, it would have been moved to this musings forum. That is not a big deal, as use of an inappropriate forum happens fairly frequently because CL does have a lot of forums (buckets). Thank you for using the appropriate forum.

Rest assured that you are not being banned.

Going further, my initial reaction to your topic was that you are responding to (perhaps rejecting or revolting against might be more fitting terms?) the current state of affairs of a country to the north of Panama, or maybe the EU, or the Middle East, or Libya, or the Ukraine, or any of many other hot spots in today's world. What triggered your posting is not that important here.

Then I read WryAwry's lengthy "manifesto" (http://www.chiriqui.life/topic/2629-the-essence-and-stuff-of-life-itself/), which is also posted in this musings forum. And so I wondered if you were reacting to his manifesto. The answer is not important, as that is a rhetorical question.

Where I am going with this post is to discuss the existence of this musings forum.

My life's experiences have taught me -- so far and among other things -- (a) to provide/achieve, keep, and cherish as many options as possible, (b) to avoid generalizations and especially generalizations that put diversity into a limited or restrictive set of buckets, and (c) to foster and appreciate diversity. That list of three is not all-inclusive, but the other lessons are way off-topic.

This musings forum does not support the primary purpose of CL, which is about life in the Chiriquí Province. We knew that up front, but as mentioned in the preceding paragraph I wanted a place where members could vent, blow hot air, get things off their chest, ponder, pontificate, etc., as long as the bucket was very tightly compartmentalized and incidental. Musings does that.

CL now is close to nine months into its life. During that time we, the management, have received some complaints about and some support for the musings forum.

As an aside, I have learned a new term from this journey into the land of musings -- purple prose, which is defined in one dictionary as "writing that calls attention to itself because of its obvious use of certain effects, as exaggerated sentiment or pathos, especially in an attempt to enlist or manipulate the reader's sympathies."

Where I am going here is to publicly discuss the value of and the need for this musings forum. So far I would say that about 15% to maybe 20% of our members have expressed disdain for the musings forum, with at most maybe 3% to 5% strongly wanting it to be removed.

The bottom line here is that I am soliciting feedback from our members. What are your thoughts about this musings forum? Maybe I should conduct a formal poll???

It is the "other place" where silly, but yes, off topic subjects can be discussed.  As you say, Bud, sometimes purple prose, but it is a good outlet for frustrations not allowed in other toplcs.  Keep it, those that hate it simply should not look at it.

In my opinion it serves a very useful purpose. It is no different than the old style newpaper. News had it's place and musing or comics were dedicated to a specific page or pages. Some days I just wanted to read the comics. Then again in other days I did not find things to be so amusing and just read the news.

Not everything in this world fits into a category. Life comes with miscellaneous and "other". It serves a purpose. To remove it would not elimiate the need nor the desire of the CL membership to laugh and enjoy things outside of Chririqui.

Always leave space for laughter and fun and the miscellaneous things in life.

46 minutes ago, Twin Wolf Technology Group said:

In my opinion it serves a very useful purpose.   It is no different than the old style newpaper.   News had it's place and musing or comics were dedicated to a specific page or pages.  Some days I just wanted to read the comics.   Then again in other days I did not find things to be so amusing and just read the news.

Not everything in this world fits into a category.   Life comes with miscellaneous and "other".   It serves a purpose.  To remove it would not elimiate the need nor the desire of the CL membership to laugh and enjoy things outside of Chririqui.

Always leave space for laughter and fun and the miscellaneous things in life.

"Always leave space for laughter and fun and the miscellaneous things in life."

Do we really need to discuss guns, religion, and politics?

19 hours ago, TwoSailors said:

Do we really need to discuss guns, religion, and politics?

I have not seen much of that here on CL. Ning seems to be doing a very good job of it for those that want to bang their heads against the wall over those things. Not exactly consistent over there. They banned a member for a humorous "cinnamon toast" musing but now it is OK to rant and rave over guns, religion and politics. The once overly censored board seems to be wide open now and crys from members go unanswered. My opinion is that they are struggling with finding a balance, something I think CL has done well.

Me, I am happy with CL. I think each place is finding what fits its members best. I would wager that if the musings catergory got overly derogative or hateful, Bud would be quick to make the appropriate adjustments.