Published Yesterday from the American Embassy. Should we be worried??? I think not. Don't believe everything you read in the internet.

Statement by Ambassador John D. Feeley on the case of Money Laundering Waked

Ambassador's residence, Panama City - May 13, 2016

There are many rumors and inaccurate comments on the designation by the United States of Money Laundering Organization Waked. Today I want to provide clear information about what has happened and our justification for the actions taken. 

The designations are based on extensive investigations that have taken more than a decade, and where the United States made a comprehensive review of information from more than seven agencies of the US government.

We check our data. We check the evidence. Waked confirm that the organization was involved in money laundering in several countries.

For years, Nidal Waked, Abdul Waked and his accomplices abused the financial system of the United States and Panama. Together they led an organization that has laundered money from drug trafficking. 

These monies came from suitcases full of cash, counterfeit bills and other money laundering methods for multiple international drug trafficking organizations that are among the most unscrupulous of the world. 

Thus, the United States has designated the Clinton call list.

Moreover-via-US court has accused Nidal Waked as one of the most important drug traffickers and launderers in the world.

From my experience working in Colombia and Mexico, I know the impact of criminals and money launderers on innocent and hardworking people can be devastating. Whether the Panamanian foot or caught in the crossfire between the Mexican cartels-all are victims. The innocent employees of companies owned by money launderers pay the piper owners. 

The United States has the responsibility to protect its citizens from such crimes.  

And Panamanian law contemplates, the American civil law gives us the authority to freeze the assets involved and deny access to our market. 

This is what we did last week. 

I understand that many people are concerned about the effects that these designations may have here in Panama.

Although we could issue the designations and sit idly by, the United States has taken the extraordinary step of issuing temporary authorizations several offers space for the Panamanian government and Waked find a solution that minimizes the potential harmful effects on the innocent. These temporary authorizations are called "licenses." 

In particular, we extended a license to ensure that newspapers La Estrellaand El Siglo can operate. We did it out of respect for his journalistic integrity and our commitment to protecting press freedom. 

It is important to understand what these licenses are and how they work. 

A license means that Americans can continue doing normal business with the designated entity. For example, I will subscribe to La Estrella , and while they'll have this license.

Since last week we are working with the Panamanian authorities to try to mitigate the economic impact of these designations on the Panamanian people even more - including the workforce.

I have to applaud the efforts of the MEF, MITRADEL, and ICIM for the hard work in finding a way to protect employees affected. 

We are moving in obtaining new licenses that will allow some companies continue to operate and preserving jobs.

As a result of these discussions, the United States Department of the Treasury today issued two licenses authorizing specific access to the American financial system-that otherwise-would be prohibited. 

Again I have to highlight the dedication and commitment of the team committing the government of Panama in this work. Devotion and heart have been obvious. 

Waked now must negotiate in good faith with the Panamanian government to preserve as many jobs and cause the least possible damage to multiple sectors where their companies. 

Protecting the integrity of our banking system is not an undue interference.It is a recognition that Panama and the United States are linked commercially, as everyone in this globalized economy.

But beyond economic ties, we are united by the values of transparency, fairness and decency. 

As an example of this I want you to know something: "How can we preserve as many jobs" When I warned the President Varela of the designation of the organization Waked, his first reaction was,

There we are-with good faith and a common delivery. 

In the few months I have been here I have met many good and worthy Panamanians recognize that secrecy plays alive and not take them nowhere.  The narcos and their launderers do not want any people; only care about their money. In the days ahead will continue to work with respect and mutual interests with the Panamanian government to see if there is more we can issue licenses to minimize the systemic effects on creditors and innocent people.

Thank you.

http://spanish.panama.usembassy.gov/sp051316.html

Edited by Marcela

• Administrators

For those interested in seeing the press release directly on the State Department website, here is the link to the English language version, which includes hotlinks to additional information resources:

http://panama.usembassy.gov/pr050516.html

And as provided in Marcela's posting, here is the link to the Spanish language version:

http://spanish.panama.usembassy.gov/sp051316.html