Mulino: Poor Electrical Service in Panama Will End

• Moderators

Mulino: Poor Electrical Service in Panama Will End

power-outage.jpg

Posted 08/06/2024

Mulino stated that the poor electricity service in Panama will have consequences when he takes over power of the country July 1st.  The president-elect, José Raúl Mulino, experienced the constant blackouts firsthand last Wednesday night and promised that there will be consequences when he assumes the position of president of the Republic. José Raúl Mulino, president-elect, spoke to the media about the reality that Panamanians suffer due to constant blackouts, and the reforms to the Social Security Fund.  The president-elect is also a victim of the constant blackouts that occur in different sectors of the country, and he promised that measures will be taken. He said that order will be brought to the electrical companies.  Mulino expressed in his X account his annoyance because these blackouts have worsened in the sector where he lives. 'I have lived in Altos del Golf for 24 years. There were never blackouts. Yes on the beach and on the farm constantly. Now there are blackouts here weekly. Many hours.  Thus, Mulino warned the electricity distribution companies that as of July 1, when he takes office as president of the Republic of Panama, the person who will be in front of the Public Services Authority (Asep) will put order.  'That's good, yesterday I spoke with the person who is going to be in charge of Asep, and one of the first actions is to put order in all these companies that provide a public service so that they remember that they are concessionaires of the State, and the Panamanians are the State... let us be clear about that reality,” said the president-elect.  Mulino maintained that the entire country is plagued by blackouts. He mentioned that he has been reporting for years every time the power goes out on his property and at the beach house 'every weekend, as well as outside of weekdays when it goes out for hours, up to 27 hours without power... Do you know what time the power came on yesterday in Altos del Golf? Around 9:00 at night,' Mulino reported.

https://newsroompanama.com/news/mulino-poor-electrical-service-in-panama-will-end

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Mulino: I Am Seriously Going After Naturgy If It Does Not Correct Itself

president-mulio.jpg

Posted 08/08/2024

During his weekly press conference, President José Raúl Mulino issued a warning to the energy distribution company Naturgy.  “I think we are all victims of Naturgy here.  On Saturday, a compressor and an air conditioner broke down on my property,” said Mulino on Thursday, August 8, from the Palacio de las Garzas.  This complaint from Mulino has been recurring over the past month and reflects the dissatisfaction expressed by hundreds of people on social media every time they experience power outages or fluctuations that damage their appliances. Mulino revealed that, starting this Thursday, August 8, the president of the regional board of directors of Naturgy will visit the country and meet with the National Secretary of Energy, Juan Manuel Urriola, and with Zelmar Rodríguez, administrator of the National Authority of Public Services (ASEP).  “And my only message is to tell them that I am serious. I am serious about going after Naturgy if it does not correct itself. And to make it clear that all options are on the table,” Mulino said.  On July 30, ASEP imposed a fine of 7.3 million dollars to the electric company Elektra Noreste, SA (ENSA) due to deficiencies in the quality of service provision. In addition, a fine of 14 million dollars was imposed on the Metro-Oeste Electric Distribution Company, SA (EDEMET) and the Chiriquí Electric Distribution Company, SA (EDECHI), both part of the Naturgy group, for failing to comply with service quality standards in the area of electricity. According to statements by the ASEP administrator, these penalties should not increase or affect the electricity rates of users.  Starting with the July billing, Naturgy customers will see a credit in their favor, while in the case of ENSA it will be applied to consumption between August and September.

https://newsroompanama.com/news/mulino-i-am-seriously-going-after-naturgy-if-it-does-not-correct-itself

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Lose Power in Panama Over the Weekend? You Were Not Alone!!

asep-power.jpg
Posted 18/08/2024

ENSA electrical service interruptions happened at least three times in a single Sunday in Panama and affected several areas.  Customers being provided with electricity from the distribution company Elektra Noreste, SA (ENSA) had several problems being a service provider this past Sunday due to various factors that they are not discussing.  The company itself confirmed in the afternoon that at least three incidents had been recorded during the day and not only in one specific area but some of it appeared Panama wide. The last event was at 3:04 p.m.  We expect some words from the President of Panama very soon. 

https://www.newsroompanama.com/news/lose-power-in-panama-over-the-weekend-you-were-not-alone