• Administrators

Now I understand. Your comment has merit.

Unfortunately those "off topic" postings are inside a blog. I do not have the ability to split off individual postings from inside a blog. I can do it only for forums. Now I am struggling with what to do. Your point is valid, but I have no solution. Hmmmm....

Let's just let this fade away into the sunset. Other suggestions?

But you are correct, in our opinion the German restaurant is a great place. Maybe Marcelyn can start a topic for it the next time we patronize that restaurant.

I went in there once and asked if they had any vegetarian options. Without ever looking up, a gentleman (the only person in the place) sitting at a table answered with a German accent "Of course" which I found surprising in light of the Germans penchant for eating pigs. But we sat down anyway, perused the menu and left after finding no vegetarian items on the menu. The guy didn't say a word and never even looked up. It was just a very stereotypically German encounter, which probably means the food is very good.

53 minutes ago, Jim and Judi said:

I went in there once and asked if they had any vegetarian options. Without ever looking up, a gentleman (the only person in the place) sitting at a table answered with a German accent "Of course" which I found surprising in light of the Germans penchant for eating pigs. But we sat down anyway, perused the menu and left after finding no vegetarian items on the menu. The guy didn't say a word and never even looked up. It was just a very stereotypically German encounter, which probably means the food is very good.

Oh my gosh. Sorry about your encounter with Zum Enslander. But why so negative about all Germans. There are many living in this area. And many different nationalities eat pigs. What 's  wrong with that? Their choice.

This restaurant provides good food and good service.

Why didn't 't you ask for information about their vegetarian options?

No need to be sorry, I didn't say it was a bad experience, never said no one should eat pig, was never negative about all Germans (note the word stereotypically.) And I clearly did say I asked about vegetarian.  As Cloudless would say...relaaaaax.

I was born in Stuttgart and have spent lots of time there throughout my years. But man I get tired of eating spaetzle and salad. 

14 hours ago, Jim and Judi said:

No need to be sorry, I didn't say it was a bad experience, never said no one should eat pig, was never negative about all Germans (note the word stereotypically.) And I clearly did say I asked about vegetarian.  As Cloudless would say...relaaaaax.

I was born in Stuttgart and have spent lots of time there throughout my years. But man I get tired of eating spaetzle and salad. 

Do you suppose the salad was what he considered to be the vegetarian option?  Probably not a good idea to go to a German restaurant if you are a vegetarian.  That is not usually a specialty, though there could be enough veg side dishes to make a meal.  But why put yourself through all that trouble?  By the way, I have known many German vegetarians, so it shouldn't be a totally foreign concept to the owner of Zum.  Maybe he just isn't interested in providing that kind of food.

Edited by JudyS

• 4 months later...

Hello, I have just found this post. Sorry if I make some mistakes, I am German ;)
Me an my wife are the new owners of the restaurant, since our very good friend and former owner Georg Schulze died 2 weeks ago.

We had to take the restaurant very suddenly and have lots of stress with managing all the business stuff right now.
But once we are ready, we will change the menu and definitely add some vegetarian meals.

There is of course other food than pig meat in the modern german kitchen and we are much younger than Georg.
We are also interested in creating some more healthy and green stuff in addition to the traditional kitchen.

You can now also get in contact with us very easily on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/restaurantealeman/

On 20.4.2016 at 7:42 AM, Jim and Judi said:

It wasn't "all that trouble." We were at San Francisco, stopped in on the off chance there was a veggie knoedel or something, but no luck. No big deal.

I will make Knödel for sure. It will take some time to teach our panamanian staff, but they are teachable and clever ;)

• Upvote 2

I am in a group of 6 to 10 folks who eat breakfast at the Zum every Saturday. We love the breakfast menu. Best omelet in Boquete (maybe in all of Panama). What they call "pancakes" are really crepes and are delicious. I also love eating lunch and dinner there. In fact, 3 of us stopped by after the spay clinic on Sunday and were disappointed to find the place closed. The weinerschnitzel (spelling?) and the chicken cordon bleu are wonderful. The home fries are to die for.

The prices are more than fair and the service is excellent. We will miss George but we would also miss the restaurant if it were not to continue.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Penny said:

...and were disappointed to find the place closed.
...We will miss George but we would also miss the restaurant if it were not to continue.

Hello Penny, we also miss George more than one can imagine. There are many things to do and to manage because of his sudden death and last sunday we had to close the restaurant due to some very important and spontanously organized company meetings. I am sorry. We will of course keep the restaurant open and most of Georges philosophy. Since we are new people, we will also optimize and develop some things, but this is what George wanted, too. Don't worry about the prices. We will keep them low as long as possible.

By the way „Wiener Schnitzel“ ist the correct pronounciation ;)

We agree with Penny. Zum has been a place for consistently good food, good service, and good prices. What more can one ask for in a restaurant?

For Simon, welcome to Boquete and the restaurant business, even if under less than desired circumstances. The whole community is missing George.

• Upvote 1

Marcelyn and I had to make an unplanned trip to David about 12:30PM yesterday, and so we decided to stop at Plaza San Francisco on the way to David for some lunch. It had been a long time since dining at The Garden, which is at Plaza San Francisco. However, when we got there we found every table taken, and more waiting. That is really good news for The Garden.

And so we went to Zum for lunch. Same great service, great food, good prices. We had the goulash with green salad and papas fritas.

It seems that Boquete has a lot of good eateries now. And the Plaza San Francisco area has three of them: (a) Mort's Bakery, (b) Zum Emsländer, and (c) The Garden. You can't go wrong in the Plaza San Francisco area.