Big Bugs Here

Bud

Marcelyn does not like bugs. Any kind of bugs. We had just gotten up this morning and she had gone to the kitchen. I heard a shriek. "Come get this thing outta here, now!" I had no idea what it was until I got to the area at the end of the bar between the kitchen and the great room. It was a cockroach. Soon to be a former cockroach. This was the first cockroach in a long time. For JudyS: can we borrow your blow torch?

After completing that rescue, I turned around and saw another critter on the screen of one of our great room sliding glass doors.Quite a large grasshopper. I couldn't resist taking a couple of pictures and measuring the monster. It was slightly longer than five inches from head to end of tail, not including the extended legs or the antennae. Bugs grow quite large here.

2016-04-14 07.27.36 edited.jpg

2016-04-14 07.27.07 edited.jpg

6 hours ago, Bud said:

For JudyS: can we borrow your blow torch?

My flame thrower?  I'll let you know.  I do have a tiny blow torch for carmelizing sugar on top of creme brulee.  It should work to fry a small bug.  But stomping on them is probably faster and less smelly (don't stomp on one of those big black stink bugs.  You'll be sorry).

Marcelyn, that's why you need to learn to love the gecko.  They eat bugs!  (I know, it's not easy).  Perhaps you need a bigger lizard to eat roaches, like a house iguana.

1 hour ago, Bonnie said:

I don't believe that's a cockroach, but I don't know exactly what it is. In any case, I've seen bigger cockroaches in Florida than I've seen here. Much bigger.

Definitely not a cockroach.

However, big or small, if not controlled, cockroaches can take over your kitchen...  9_9

Nigerian-Cockroach-Takes-Over-House-432x200.jpg

5 hours ago, Bonnie said:

I don't believe that's a cockroach, but I don't know exactly what it is. In any case, I've seen bigger cockroaches in Florida than I've seen here. Much bigger.

Yah....."roach-like".   It's not a roach as we know roaches.  BIG...yes.