The passing of Bud Smith

Just received this notice from Bud's daughter Holly that Bud died last year. He was a long time Boquete resident and played in one of the first gringo bands formed here. Here's the message from Holly:

First, this is Holly Smith, Bud's daughter for those of you that don't know me.  I've been living in Australia for the last 3.5 years. 

Second, for those of you that don't know and my apologies for finding out this way, Bud died last year on May 16th.  This is the only means I have of reaching out to his friends from an old email that he sent to all of us.  I've waited this long as I was not in a position to fly back last year to do a celebration of life.  But I am flying back to do this year. 

Hence this email.  I'll be doing a celebration of life on the Colorado River, his request, in Colorado close to Glenwood Springs.  This is invitation only so please respect that.  It'll be in early September.   

Please let me know if you are interested in attending, and then I'll shorten the list and supply more details as I have them. 

Sincerely, Holly

I remember Bud Smith. We weren't close because we had different interests, but did cross paths in our small community here. I seem to recall that I arrived in Boquete a bit before he did, but then we ended being here at the same time for quite a while. I lost track of him after several years. An interesting chap, indeed.

The name "Bud" (nickname in my case) for a grown man is moderately uncommon. That led to some confusion when people met me and started talking about things the "other Bud" was involved in. It got kinda cute at times. To distinguish between the two Buds of Boquete, I said he was the intelligent Bud and I was the good looking Bud. He was okay with that.

Sorry to learn of his passing.