Buenos Vecinos de Boquete December Newsletter

View this email in your browser
710993b1-b28e-43a7-8c40-978ec8557b0a.jpg
Thank you, Louise Orr!
13d1c281-cff4-77ac-436e-122577374530.jpg
05b363e9-385e-4dac-236f-e85465992af2.jpg
482214fd-ca45-399a-c528-016724d6f73c.jpg

After serving for twelve years, Louise Orr is stepping down from her role as the administrator of Buenos Vecinos de Boquete. We are relieved to say that, even though she is stepping down, she is not stepping away from our organization. She will continue to be a vital member of our team.

When thinking about Louise and her contributions, not only to BVB but to the rest of the community, a quote by Mr. Rogers comes to mind. “We live in a world in which we need to share responsibility. It’s easy to say, ‘It’s not my child not my community, not my world, not my problem.’ Then there are those who see the need and they respond. I consider those people my heroes.”

Our organization thrives because of the hard work and the leadership Louise has brought to the team every day. Since joining BVB, Louise has been one of the main driving forces. She has served as the director, leader, and liaison of this well-respected community service organization. Though Louse will continue serving as an active member, she is ready to take a break from being our fearless leader as she pursues other interests.

Louise made important contributions to BVB. One of her many brilliant innovations was to streamline our packing experience. Before Louise took over, the food was being delivered to Amigos de Boquete from a warehouse in David. The members had to pick up the food in their cars and unload it at the Handicap Foundation. When Louise became the administrator for BVB, she contacted Roher and arranged for the food to be delivered to Handicap Foundation and stacked on tables for easy packing. Not only is our packing process streamlined, but we are also now buying our food from a local business.

Louise also demonstrated her exceptional organizational skills planning and overseeing our numerous fundraisers. The wine tasting event at Bid 4 Boquete, which Louise ran single handedly, was a much-anticipated gala and was sold out every year. Our other successful fundraisers were also coordinated by Louise.

Louise has been instrumental in making BVB a successful and credible charity in the Boquete area. Her attention to detail and her keen vision for BVB have been the needed keys to the success and respectability of our organization. In addition to all of Louise’s skills and talents, we appreciate her heart for the families we serve and her willingness to help others. We are truly grateful for having Louise and her exemplary leadership skills guide our group for the past twelve years. We wish the best for Louise and whatever new ventures she chooses to pursue. As members we cannot thank Louise enough and this recognition is long overdue! 

In Recognition of a Loyal Donor

27f05024-dd67-89f2-3e5a-22ac934ad7c8.jpg
c457e886-b348-6d70-4acb-c2a3ebbe5e50.jpg

Jackie Lange founded Panama Relocation Tours in 2010, when she moved to Boquete, Panama.  Jackie has been an active Panama resident and business owner ever since.  Jackie relocated to Boquete from Texas with her husband, to whom she was married for 45-years.   Sadly, her husband unexpectedly passed away a few years ago and Jackie has been on her wonderful Panama journey on her own ever since.  Her journey, which had only one, but non-negotiable, requirement:  it must include great weather!  As Jackie stated, “I wanted to live in a place where I’d never need an air conditioner or a heater again.  I spent 18-months exploring many different countries before I found the perfect place for me; Boquete, Panama!”  Jackie has found many advantages when she made the big move to another country.  The biggest ones, of course, “Many areas in Panama offer a much more affordable lifestyle.  The weather is the big draw for many people who move to Panama.  You can literally pick your ideal temperature based on the elevation in Panama.”  

Of course, Jackie points out that there isn’t any place that is entirely perfect.  As she stated, “There are always some disadvantages to living in Chiriqui Province (where Boquete is located), as it is not easy to get to.  Given there are no direct flights to North America from David, so you have to go through Panama City, which often requires an overnight stay.”  Picking your preferred temperature is nice, but it may require some extra travel; but given its natural beauty and weather, Boquete is a popular choice.

If you ask Jackie, she will argue that those extra miles are well worth it, which is why, since moving to Panama, she has lived exclusively in Beautiful Boquete.  As she always advises her clients, when Jackie first moved to Boquete, she rented a house, she did not buy. “A year after moving to Panama, however, I purchased the house I had been renting.  So, I have lived in the same house since moving to Panama.”
It is in that house she started one of the most prominent businesses in Boquete: 
 Panama Relocation Tours.  We asked her how this company was started.  Jackie replied, “I’ve been a real estate investor for 30-years and have another company where I offer online training for real estate investors.  When I told them I was moving to Panama, they were curious and asked me to organize a tour of Panama. I did a tour for eight people in 2010 to teach them the things I had learned about, such as how to get a Visa, how to bring pets into Panama, where to buy health insurance, etc.  Shortly after that, I got calls from their friends and neighbors asking when my next tour would be.  I did another tour and the request for information kept coming.  So, I built a website and started offering tours.”  Tours that are literally booked every week - all year long.  Not bad for someone who planned to retire, but instead has completed “More than 150 all-inclusive 6-day Panama Relocation Tours.”  Remarkably, 67% of the people who have taken a Panama Relocation Tour have relocated to Panama.  Since 2010, Jackie’s company has helped tens of thousands of people move to Panama.  Jackie continues to support BVB, in fact, in her upcoming fund-raiser, Jackie is donating a percentage of the proceeds to our non-profit organization.  Thank you, Jackie Lange and the Panama Relocation Tours for all you do to support us and our beautiful Boquete community! You are one of Boquete’s Best! 
For those interested in more information about Jackie Lange’s Panama Relocation Tours: https://panamarelocationtours.com/about-us

Full article can be found at:
http://www.buenosvecinosdeboquete.com/panama-relocation-tours/

3f84d3c3-ce2f-455b-1327-d966be85cd44.jpg
6b523e52-c655-6f4d-5380-75b629f8bd79.jpg

The Boquete Bridge Club has been all hands-on deck with their support. This group of card-playing zealots do more than just play cards.  They gather, they play, and then they donate to BVB.  Thank you, Boquete Bridge Club!

Here is BVB’s interview with Boquete Bridge Club Member, Penny Barrett

BVB Representative: Who are the members?

Penny: Our members come and go. Some are here for 6 months out of the year and some swing through for a week at a time - several times a year. There is no fixed membership . . . just a desire to play a good game of Bridge.

BVB Representative: Have any locals joined your group?

Penny: We have a couple of Panamanian players. Unfortunately, they don't live in Boquete full time. One very good player lives in Panama City and this player also has a large house in Boquete. Another one who plays occasionally, but also lives in Europe.

BVB Representative When did you all start?

Penny: We started about 15 or 16 years ago. The original members were Irene, Mikey, Hershel, and I.

BVB Representative What are the objectives?

Penny: The objectives of the club are just to enjoy the world's best card game, hone our skills in that game, and do some socializing. We meet the best (and smartest) people playing Bridge.

BVB Representative: Do both men and women attend?

Penny: We have about equal men and women. Right now, we have 14-16 regular players. When we're at full strength, we'll have 16-18 players.

BVB Representative: How are you able to donate to BVB continuously and generously?

From the beginning we've collected $1.00 from each player - every week. It's not much, but it's a steady income for Buenos Vecinos.

BVB Representative: Why do you donate to BVB?

Penny: Somewhere early on we chose BVB as the charity we wished to donate to.

BVB Representative: What would you hope people say about the Boquete Bridge Club?

Penny: I guess I would hope they say we're a nice bunch of people, not too snooty, and welcoming to new members. 

BVB Representative: How can someone join – can someone join?

Penny: Anyone can stop by Big Daddy's Restaurant - any Wednesday afternoon - and introduce him/herself and observe for a while. I do have to say, however, we can't really accommodate total beginners. We pretty much want intermediate to advanced players. 

BVB Representative: Where do y’all meet? Are snacks and Spirits provided?

Penny: We meet at Big Daddy's. While there, the owners give us a Boquete Bridge Club Lunch Special for a Special Price. The lunch includes a drink, an appetizer, and a choice of one of their many main courses. We are given a very good deal.

BVB Representative: How can people join The Boquete Bridge Club?

Penny: If somebody would like to have more information, they can call our fearless leader, John Sandeen, at 6738-2486

882b56e9-7237-833d-d7bb-6a3d510fc465.jpg

Our Crystal Ball is saying that a new Buenos Vecinos de Boquete partnership with Global Food Providers is on the horizon.  In hopes of providing more nutrients to our clients, we are looking to use a top Global Foods’ product to enhance the food products our clients already receive.  We still investigating to see how this program will work.

TO LEARN MORE, CHECK OUT OUR LATEST VIDEO ON OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL?  GLOBAL FOODS PROVIDERS FARM TOUR – A SPECTACULAR FACILITY:  https://youtu.be/q6uV-RMQOpE

4dea5286-74f3-0095-7253-ccec50373a2f.jpg

MEET OUR VERY SPECIAL FAMILY:  Raquel’s Family

7584f0db-40c7-a2e9-466c-017fe3c56f4f.jpg
0456c5eb-14f5-a2c6-a6cc-fcc1abc136d4.jpg

You would never guess, looking at Raquel’s serene countenance, that life has been a roller coaster ride for her and for her family. When they were homeless, a kind landowner gave them permission to put up a simple bamboo and zinc house out in his woods. They were able to create a small garden and eventually even have electricity. Raquel’s mother and Raquel’s brother, Pedro moved in with them and began to help with household and gardening chores. Everyone was feeling happier and

more secure. But then, Raquel’s husband suffered a debilitating accident at work. Raquel, a strong and hard-working woman, wanted to get a job, but could find little to do that would pay for food, school expenses and the electric bill. BVB stepped in with emergency non-perishable food as did Raquel’s church family. Months later, he was finally able to return to work.

The family was just getting back to normal when Raquel’s husband suddenly abandoned them, leaving Raquel to step into the role of breadwinner. Though she was able to find a local part-time house-cleaning job, it was not enough to pay the bills. BVB and her church once more came along side to help support her and the kids, Julissa 16, Jose 15, Esther 10, and Baby Edward. All three school-age children are studying remotely, using a phone and data donated by a sympathetic donor. They are avid students devoted to maintaining good grades, and of course that pleases Raquel and her mother.

In addition to the regular BVB food basket, Raquel and her family agreed two months ago to test what well may be a permanent addition to the BVB client menu, Super Foods. These are highly nutritious and virtually organic greens like spinach, kale, mustard, and collard greens and swiss chard. Grown by Global Food Providers, a local farm, these greens are harvested, dehydrated, and pulverized to create a highly concentrated powder that is easily added to the soup or rice pot. They provide the very nutrients that are missing in the typical indigenous diet of rice and beans. It has not taken long for the family to see the results, increased energy and focus, better sleep, and an improved mental outlook. Best of all the family members like the taste and are looking forward to feeling healthier and more alert, however life might unfold for them.

I am certain Raquel’s plight truly exhibits the important role Buenos Vecinos de Boquete and all our donors play in the lives of our valued family members. Truly, our goal of “each one, reach one,” continues to positively impact lives.

01ddf8da-46a9-504b-e08f-d5ca7f468e12.jpg

As we close out this month’s newsletter, we want to wish everyone a very happy and safe holiday season!  May you all find the blessings you need to have a wonderful 2022!   Speaking of blessings, if you need to purchase a gift for that “difficult to shop for” friend, perhaps make that friend a Coconut Foundation Member.  Give the gift of life; Comida es Vida – Food is Life! 

23653d2e-14a4-72cb-2112-d0d2a56f92eb.jpg

Would you like to be one of our valued donors too?  Here is how you too can help us to help others.

As you know, we would appreciate your donation of any size. It’s important for you to know that we are a small all-volunteer force without any administrative or overhead costs.  Every dollar of your donation goes to the purchase of food for our clients, like Raquel’s Family.  When you make that important decision to help the less fortunate in our community, you truly become a “Good Neighbor!”  When you donate $400.00 a year (A little more than$33.00 a month), you become a Coconut Foundation Member, which is an acknowledgement of your care, concern, and generosity.  Please donate today.  You may do so through our online VERY EASY and VERY SAFE PayPal account or any of our other methods.

eSv1zLq_WU4vUk-BpwNo5cxTBUrIYEo44sfej-qQpT2zzp3kbgUWscHIWhnS-ubRLYGHRk5vCel1vpk6Hq8KDzUbaQsvl11R3Cw_p0dJBFJtIht_tYLEpKEk745tDGh0Z0xd8i38beLOkXRnxw  Logo, company name  Description automatically generated

If you prefer to donate by cash or local check, please contact Louise or buenosvecinos79@gmail.com for arrangements.

Be sure to check out our website and Facebook page:

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/BuenosVecinosDeBoquete/

Don’t forget to check out our YouTube Channel and HIT THAT SUBSCRIBE BUTTON!

All our YouTube videos currently feature music by Danny Burns.  Listen and follow Danny at:  https://soundcloud.com/technocinema

Text  Description automatically generated  As always, we must thank our very valued donors!   We owe you all a big thank you!  

a34c0894c6b355c52e44b35c1da01d62.png

703a61e5-7750-17c7-936a-74e8614264c8.jpg

Thank you!

COMIDA ES VIDA!

FOOD IS LIFE!

Facebook
Email
Website
YouTube
Instagram
Twitter

Copyright © 2021 Buenos Vecinos de Boquete, All rights reserved.