3184005_MastheadUSA-New-cropped.thumb.jpg.0722f0592c4f86cffab506a7045046e0.jpg

November 14th, 2021

33rd Sunday in Ordinary Time

1661178734_InThoseDays....jpg.5d147f4194ba8decab57130986c76373.jpg

A Message from Father Michael

Today’s Theme:  

“Hope for A Brighter Future”

Reflections on Today’s Scripture

As a literary genre, apocalyptic literature has acquired the onerous reputation among some Christians of being—at its best—generally misunderstood; and—at its worst—misinterpreted and grossly misrepresented.  (Born of crisis, it flourished during the last two centuries B.C., and the first two centuries A.D.)  Today’s First Reading attempts to encourage his fellow Jews to remain loyal to their religion, at a time when it was more advantageous, and perhaps more alluring, to ascribe to the philosophies and beliefs of a hostile and alien cultural system (Daniel 12: 1-3.)  This selection is part of the second portion of the book—a series of visions—and looks beyond history, promising justice and eternal reward for the faithful.

~~~

Our Second Reading continues the basic theological premise that Christ’s sacrifice and His priesthood are superior to the sacrificial system and priesthood of the Old Testament cult (Hebrews 10:11-18.)  This seventh part of the series brings to light the inadequacy of the daily, repeated sacrifices offered by the Levitical priesthood, including: holocaust, offered as an act of praise and atonement; cereal or grain offerings; peace offerings in thanksgiving to God, obligatory votive offerings and free will offerings; and a sin offering, prescribed for the expiation of uncleanness.  The point of the author concerns the overall obsolescence and inadequacy of the old ways.

~~~

Today’s Gospel comes from what has been called the “little,” or “Marcan apocalypse,” ascribed by some historians to be a separate entity from the remainder of the book.  Nonetheless, other theologians see it as the key to understanding it (Mark 13:24-32.)  Chapter 13 underscores the central position of Christ, the reality and imminence of His second coming, and the necessary posture of the persecuted faithful, who would be vindicated at His appearance.  It is clear the evangelist believed the death of Jesus had ushered in a period of the end or the last “age.”  The persecution of his contemporaries was seen as part of the “great tribulation.”  (The destruction of Jerusalem (70 A.D.)did not portend the “end times,” as expected, and that caused such opinions to be reevaluated.)  Jesus’ actions on earth, i.e., forgiving sins, proclaiming His teaching authority, His suffering, death and resurrection, had won the conflict over evil and defeated sin and death.  For Mark’s persecuted contemporaries and their descendants, the vision of the glorious, powerful Son of Man was a source of strength and hope.

The fall of the year prepares us for the great death of nature about to come.  It is the time of “the Last Rose of Summer left blooming alone. All of its lovely companions are faded and gone.”  During this nostalgic season, the Church invites us for several Sundays to meditate on the great themes of the end times.  Death will come for all of us; there will be a final judgment.  Is this a message that shocks us?  Is reminding us of the end also Gospel, good tidings?  Yes, since we Christians know that whatever happens, no destruction is final.  New roses will bloom on the same apparently dead bush.  The seed dies in the soil in order to bear new life.   

Timeless Words

During the course of my theology studies, I heard many things—sadly, most of which, I probably have forgotten.  But one thing Fr. Columban, one of my favorite professors once said, I will never forget: “Love keeps a low profile.”  I know it sounds like a simple thing, but somehow, it went straight to my heart and has stayed there, ever since… “Love keeps a low profile….”

Once uttered, words take on a powerful life of their own, for good, or ill.  They can bring a blessing or a curse, healing or wounding, life or death.  Words can continue to harm us, or help us for many years after they have been spoken.  We should be cautious to use words very carefully.  When we are angry, it is better to remain silent.  Words spoken in anger can cause deep hurt and make reconciliation very difficult.  Choosing life instead of death, a blessing instead of a curse, often starts by choosing to remain silent, or being careful to choose words that open the way to healing.  As I’ve heard my own mother tell me, “Sometimes loving others means keeping quiet and letting them be.”  

Jesus’ words remain with us to this very day, offering comfort, guidance and challenge.  They may “upend” our values, but once heard, they can never be forgotten.  But for all that, they benefit us very little unless we act on them.  Like precious seeds, if they remain in a jar, they remain just so many seeds.  But if they are taken out and planted, they can produce a rich harvest. 

In comparison with faith, there is nothing sure or lasting in the world.  Human opinions are rooted in appearances, and change from day to day.  But Jesus’ words do not change or pass away.  We would do well to build the “house of our life” on His words….

Resisting “Familiarity”

We all know the Gospel stories, which we have heard or read numerous times over the years.  They coalesce into one great story—the story of Jesus.  Except for very young children, we may grow tired of hearing the same stories over and over again, and “switch off.”  They may come across as lifeless, old or stale, after so many tellings.  If we are to hear the story “afresh,” we need to recapture the “wonder” of it, and release the energy contained in it.  This will enable us to experience the power, charm, surprise, shock, challenge and inspiration it contains.  We need to hear it in such a way as to be “drawn” into it, and hear our own stories as we listen.  When that happens, our stories will merge with the Gospel and we will become illuminated.  

Everything we need to know about life is contained in the Gospel.  These are the related words of Jesus, after all! If we make this book our teacher, we will never go astray.  But it’s not enough to return to the Gospel only in times of misfortune.  Nor is it enough to turn it into an object of veneration.  We have to examine our own lives against the words of “the book.”  These words should kindle a “fire” in our hearts, and others should feel the warmth in us.  The Gospel contains only those things that are the best and deepest in life.  Mark Twain once said, “Others are bothered by the part of the Bible they can’t understand.  I’m bothered by the parts I can understand….”  The Gospel should become the handbook for every Christian.  

Our faith should be buoyed by Jesus’ words.  We should have conviction that the world is not heading toward final, irreversible catastrophe.  Nor is it heading towards merely ending.  It is heading towards fulfillment.  By His Easter victory, Jesus has triumphed over evil and death.  We should worry more about the end of our own individual world, at death—which is certain—than about the end of the whole world—which is out of our hands….

When I am troubled, I take comfort in the words of Psalm 16:

Preserve me, God, I take refuge in You.  My happiness lies in You, alone.  You are my portion and my cup, You Yourself are my Prize.  I keep You ever in my sight, even at night you direct my heart.  With You at my right hand, I shall stand firm.  And so, my heart rejoices; my soul is glad.  For You will not leave my soul among the dead, nor let Your beloved know decay. You will show me the path of life, the fullness of joy in Your presence.  At Your right-hand is my happiness forever. 

May God Richly Bless You!

"God knows when the end of time will come, not some fanatic....  The world will end someday, but the end of the world and the end of time are two different things."

~~Dolly Parton~~

To view a live stream of this week's Holy Mass, click here:  https://www.facebook.com/michael.schamp.9/videos/605986597488418/?d=n

All the Praise of a Lifetime.docx