Pastor's Letter 20210912 - 12 September 2021 - Taking Up Our Cross

182692146_MastheadUSA-New-cropped.thumb.jpg.88f1097815c53574333767d2b38087b3.jpg

September 12th, 2021

24th Sunday in Ordinary Time

A Message from Father Michael

408369185_JesusandtheChild.jpg.fbc0d5fb47f7742db8ca92500a8ee712.jpg

"Whoever welcomes a little child, such as this, receives Me."

Today’s Theme:   “Taking Up Our Cross”

Reflections on Today’s Scripture

Shattering preconceptions; disappointing popular expectations; shocking the orthodox; He came (Mark.)  

In the mystery of innocent suffering endured for the sake of others, humanity glimpsed the loving kindness of God (Isaiah.)  

For those so graciously and undeservedly blessed with salvation, the only worthy response is a living (and a lived) faith (James.)  

(P.D. Sanchez, “The Word We Celebrate”)

Today’s First Reading is taken from the third of the four “Servant Songs” of Isaiah (42:1-4; 49:1-7; 50:4-9; and 52:13-53:12.)  They were intended as a source of hope and consolation during the time of Israel’s national disgrace; to help Israel make sense of,  and find purpose for, the suffering that threatened to overwhelm it during the Babylonian Captivity (586-516 B.C.) Isaiah teaches us today that the just person is sustained in all his trials by the firm belief that God is with him. The Servant of the Lord Who suffers, does so because of His innocence, not in spite of it.  Early Christians ascribed these themes to Jesus, portraying Him as the Suffering Servant…par excellence.

Contrary to the opinion that heated up various theological controversies during the Protestant Reformation, James was not refuting the Pauline doctrine of salvation by faith.  Rather, the late first century author geared his admonitions and exhortations toward those who had misconstrued Paul’s thoughts. Like Paul, James advocated living an active faith, integral to one’s daily life, manifested in ethical and moral behavior.   Those whose beliefs had been reduced to “faith alone,” without including just living and actions, are the ones to whom James’ “faith without works is dead,” aphorism was directed (Second Reading: James 2:14-18.)

Today’s Gospel selection (Mark 8;27-35,) marks a theological “turning point” for Mark.  Up to that point, Jesus’ identity was shrouded in questions and confusion.  Ordinary people, hearing Him preach, realized He was unlike anyone they had ever experienced, but they were unsure as to Who He really was.  Throughout His native Galilee, He had been incorrectly thought to be the mysterious figure of Elijah, the prophet-like Moses, or the reincarnations of other historic figures from Torah.  Expecting a “political Messiah,” His own disciples were filled with ambivalence toward Jesus.  Even Jesus’ own relatives did not perceive His true purpose or understand His methods.  Only the “demons” truly recognized and identified Him: “What do you want with us…I know Who You are…the Holy One of God” (Mark 1:25; 5:7.)  In the final analysis, we conclude that only a person who is prepared and willing to risk all for Jesus and for His Gospel, will attain to authentic “selfhood.”  

Two Kinds of Faith

“Inherited” faith is that of those who believe in following the traditions of their ancestors, strongly maintaining them. Those with “inherited faith” have the advantage that they are not easily tempted.  Even when confronted with philosophical arguments that might contradict their faith, it remains implacable, because of firmly rooted ancestral traditions.  In addition, they have never depended on philosophical speculation.  But there is a disadvantage: their faith is not “well-reasoned” or “thought out,” and not infrequently, is a faith of habit and routine.

On the other hand, those who possess “personal faith” also have an advantage.  They have discovered God through reasoning, and therefore, exhibit strength of mind.  Their disadvantage is that they can be persuaded by logic, and, if confronted with strong contrary arguments, they can be tempted to abandon their faith.  In order to withstand challenges, they must be grounded in something that goes beyond one’s own personal experience.  

People who gain their faith in both ways have every advantage—depending strongly on traditions, and also critically thinking for themselves.  The combination of the two might be thought to be the best and most perfect form of faith.

It is no longer sufficient to be “born into” faith.  Inherited faith is “second-hand, and can be very “empty.”  It’s not enough to say, “My parents were believers, and so am I.”  Every generation must be converted anew.  It’s been said that many church-goers are little better than baptized pagans.  Seemingly harsh, that nevertheless is the case with many sad and tired faces in the pews—as exhibited, perhaps by those who arrive late and leave early….

It is important for each of us to arrive at our own conclusion as to Jesus’ identity.  It’s important to craft our own answer; to be able to state our own values and beliefs as Christians.  It is no longer adequate to merely repeat “official” answers—those we may have memorized from early catechetical studies. We have to make the faith “our own,” for it to be alive and influential in our lives.  Our parents’ faith is not ours until we walk the journey for ourselves.  

We need to grow in our understanding of the faith.  We must believe out of personal conviction.  The more of such people we have in the Church, the more it is founded on “rock.”  (To this end, I continue to write these letters—in the hope that within these words, my readers will find motivation to discover a deeper understanding, a more loving appreciation for The Way of our Blessed Lord, Jesus Christ.)

Faith Without Good Works

It’s simply not enough to “pray” for a needy person.  Saying “I’ll pray for you,” we must not think that we have done “our bit” once we have “referred the matter” to God!  That sounds very much like “passing the buck,” to my understanding.  Rather, when we do pray for another person, we should be, in effect, saying to God: “Here I am, Lord; send me!”  

Our prayer should commit us to some positive action, no matter how small.  Even a small act, like a visit, could prove to be a costly gesture, because it means putting ourselves alongside a suffering person.  And to do that is to lay ourselves open to that person’s pain, where we will inevitably absorb some of that pain.  

To pray for people, or to wish them well, is a good thing!  It gives them comfort knowing they are not alone.  But it is not enough…it is what James called a “dead faith.”  If our faith in Christ is alive, we will also express our concern in actions!  

Peter identified Jesus, absolutely.  His faith was “perfect” as far as his words were concerned.  But when the time came for action, he was woefully lacking.  When Jesus asked him to watch with Him during His agony in the garden, he fell asleep.  Later that night, He denied He had ever known Jesus.  At that point, Peter’s faith was only as “thick as a coat of paint,” (a la Garrison Keillor, “A Prairie Home Companion.”)  We must strive to have faith that flows into deeds.  We need God’s grace, not only to profess our faith, but also to live it.

And what about praying for things we think we need for ourselves?  For those who have become accustomed to my penchant for referring to “prayerful meditation,” instead of simply “prayer,” this will provide a framework for that distinction.  It is when we seek guidance, or some sought-after personal, beneficial outcome, that we must focus ourselves on “the Spirit within us,” the Advocate of Christ.  Those are the times when we summon from our deepest soul the strength to “get up and do those things that need to be done” (ibid…Garrison Keillor, ref. “Powdermilk Biscuits.”)  

My belief is that God, our Creator, has given us all the “tools” we need to become wholly fulfilled individuals on earth, and, at the same time, be drawn to find Him and our salvation.  Each of us has unclaimed riches within our immortal soul that stay untapped until we access them.  We possess unspeakable resources of knowledge, compassion, wisdom, patience, fortitude, etc., etc., that are there, waiting for us to bring them forth.  The irrepressible “noise” in our busy lives keeps us from finding them.  That is why we need to focus our minds in quiet mediation, periodically, and allow the Holy Spirit to show us the path.  

And in praying for others, this holds as well.  Our most fervent prayers should be for the Spirit within others to be summoned into action on their behalf.  We all know of “miracle cures” some people have realized in spite failure of all available medical ministrations.  Terminal patients, in the assessment of medical professionals, have become “well” again, from unknown causes, which had nothing to do with all their care and manipulations.  Such things can only be attributed to the work of the “Spirit within,” performing on their behalf.  

This is the “Efficacy of Prayer,” to which I ascribe, and I urge you all to embrace.  Having done so, you will find, at the very least, peace descending upon you, the likes of which you may have never known.  This is that realm of “acceptance” awaiting all of us, long after denial, bargaining, depression and anger have run their course (Kubler-Ross-1969.)

Whatever our path in life, what really matters is that we should be ourselves—our unique selves…the best that we can be…the kind of people God intended us to be.  The only thing that matters is that we are true to ourselves.  Any other path is a false trail and will not result in growth, happiness, fulfillment, or holiness.  

May God Richly Bless You!

“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”

(Ghandi) 

Be Ye Glad.docx

To view a live stream of today's Holy Mass, click here:  https://youtu.be/DDBEylmE8DU

Edited by Father Michael
adding JPEG files