When I moved here almost 3 years ago, I bought some rib eyes at PriceSmart, grilled one for dinner and nearly broke my jaw trying to chew it.  I then learned that filet mignon is the only way to go for steak here.  But, because buying a whole tenderloin for one person with a small freezer is not very doable, I reserved steak for rare occasions out.  Today, I saw those rib eyes at PriceSmart again, over an inch thick, with nice little pockets of fat, for only $4 a pound - $8 for three good sized steaks.  Something possessed me to buy them, having in mind a different preparation method, and figuring that it was worth an $8 try.  I cooked one of them "sous vide" for an hour and finished it off by searing a couple of minutes on a cast iron grill pan.  It was as good as some of the best steaks I've had in the States!  Panamanian meat.  $4 a pound.  Tender and delicious.

In case you don't know, sous vide is a "low and slow" cooking method which permits the connective tissue to break down, making the meat very tender and evenly cooked throughout.  It's also the best way I've ever experienced to cook chicken breast.  It involves vacuum (or nearly so) sealing and cooking in preheated water and is a technique used by many professional chefs.  If you're a meat lover, you might want to google it.  You don't need an expensive sous vide machine (though I do have one); there are a lot of inexpensive "hacks" which I have also used.

We have also found as of late that the ground hamburger meat at PriceSmart is very good. Not talking about the ground, pre-formed, frozen hamburger patties, but the freshly ground package in the meat cooler. Flavor is excellent and very good quality (fat content, etc.). Always be sure to check the dates on the package label.

"But, because buying a whole tenderloin for one person with a small freezer is not very doable ..."

But.... buying a whole tenderloin and cutting it up into little filet mignon steaks, I usually get 15-20 servings out of one.... large tenderloin, small servings.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:
10 hours ago, Franagain said:
10 hours ago, Franagain said:

"But, because buying a whole tenderloin for one person with a small freezer is not very doable ..."

But.... buying a whole tenderloin and cutting it up into little filet mignon steaks, I usually get 15-20 servings out of one.... large tenderloin, small servings.

Your freezer is bigger than mine, Fran.  One of these days, I will replace the Barbie sized fridge/freezer my landlord put in here.

After serious trimming and cleaning, the average filete de res, or tenderloin, yields about 48 ounces or 3 pounds of bliss. We use 7 ounces plus a bacon wrapper on the filet mignons that we have prepared for Christmas Eve.

• Upvote 1

• Su Carne/ Don Julio

Make a right at the Police barracks/jail and then an immediate left, following the side of the jail. Cross two streets and down a dip to a bridge, and turn right on the first street after the bridge. Su Carne will be on the left at the next street on the left.

Su-Carne1-300x268.jpg

Su-Carne-300x225.jpg