US Embassy Alert - Movement Restrictions Update

Denese A Rodgers

Additional Economic Reopening, Resumption of Commercial Aviation, and Change in Movement Restrictions
Beginning on October 12, curfews will remain unchanged in all of Panama except the provinces of Bocas del Toro, Colon, and Chiriquí. In Bocas del Toro and Chiriqui curfew will be from 7:00 p.m. until 5:00 a.m., Monday through Thursday, with a weekend quarantine from Friday at 7:00 p.m. until Monday at 5:00 a.m. The province of Colon and the districts of Chiriqui Grande, Isla Colon, and Almirante in Bocas del Toro will have the same curfew hours, but curfew in these areas runs from Monday through Friday, with quarantine from Saturday at 7:00 p.m. until Monday at 5:00 a.m.
Additionally, the following economic sectors will reopen on October 12: Hotels, motels, lodging services, pools at 25 percent capacity, tourism, non-essential transportation services, creative and cultural institutions, and academies of music, art, and dance, along with gambling and the lottery. Cinemas, theaters, museums, galleries, and indoor tourist sites are permitted to operate at 50 percent capacity.
Due to the resumption of international aviation, also scheduled for October 12, we will no longer send messages to citizens about upcoming humanitarian flights. If you still wish to evacuate Panama and return to the United States, you should do so by booking a commercial flight through the airline of your choice.
Beginning October 12, international arrivals will no longer be subject to quarantine requirements, but must present a negative COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen test), and that test must have been completed within 48 hours prior to arrival in Panama.
The following remain pending and do not have a foreseen date for reopening: family activities at the beach, schools, colleges, universities, daycare, kindergartens, gyms, indoor play areas for children, bars, clubs, conferences, concerts, fairs, carnival, parades, and processions.
The Embassy will continue to provide updates on changes that may affect U.S. citizens in Panama. For all the details about changes made by the Government of Panama in response to the pandemic, please see the daily announcements from the Ministry of Health.
>
STEP.STATE.GOV
Smart Traveler Enrollment Program

I made an appointment with the US Embassy to do my US driver license transfer to Panama. The appointment is Oct. 26, Monday 9am and i thought I would drive up the day before and stay at hotel for the morning appointment. Only now has it occurred to me that it is mostly likely we will still be on wknd lockdown.  Is there a way I can drive to Panama City on Sunday or do I need to cancel my appointment?

Hi Carolina,

Just to be safe - I recommend emailing the Embassy at Panama-ACS@state.gov -- and have proof of that appointment when you travel.  You may be able to get a salvoconducto - or your appointment may be sufficient for travel.

Denese

Edited by Moderator_02
converted email address into hotlink

We are actually going to be in Panama City for our ECedula on that exact day! Was hoping to do our licenses as well. What was the procedure you followed to get your appointment? We were thinking of driving as well. Open to connecting if there's a way to work together on this.