Jump to content

Recommended Posts

What's the deal with RetroGusto not only denying the pensionado discount but actually stating on their menu that they will not honor it.

Shouldn't somebody take a copy of the law to the restaurant and show them?

Good Lord, their prices are high enough to absorb the occasional discount.

BTW, despite what games restaurants play, the discount is applicable to all food items and all beverage items except alcohol and soda.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I won't eat there again, not only because they refuse to honor the pensionado discount but ALSO because of the difficult situation they put their staff in by requiring them to explain to a customer just why the owner refuses to abide by the law.  Tacky and very inconsiderate. The owner himself should be the only person to try and defend their ''policy''.

There are many other very good restaurants here now, and they ALL have found a way to follow the law. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Franagain said:

I won't eat there again, not only because they refuse to honor the pensionado discount but ALSO because of the difficult situation they put their staff in by requiring them to explain to a customer just why the owner refuses to abide by the law.  Tacky and very inconsiderate. The owner himself should be the only person to try and defend their ''policy''.

There are many other very good restaurants here now, and they ALL have found a way to follow the law. 

One-eyed Frank, had my favorite approach to the "law" on this always-contentious topic.  He gave the 25% jubilado discount, and if you weren't a jubilado he gave you a 25% discount too.  Everyone was special.

I'm glad to hear that some jubilados will avoid Retrogusto because of their policy.  It's getting harder to find an unoccupied table there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What the restaurant is doing is against the law and they should be reported to Acodeco. Those of you who have eaten there and have been ripped-off should contact this agency:

ACODECO

LA AUTORIDAD DE PROTECCIÓN AL CONSUMIDOR Y DEFENSA DE LA COMPETENCIA

 

http://www.autoridaddelconsumidor.gob.pa/index.asp

 

Administrador:

Alexis Ortega

Direcciones:

David Centro, Entre Ave 3ra y 2da. Central, Diagonal al Hotel Puerta del Sol

Horario:

8:00am a 4:00pm

Teléfono:

775-2536

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/13/2016 at 10:31 AM, Woody said:

One-eyed Frank, had my favorite approach to the "law" on this always-contentious topic.  He gave the 25% jubilado discount, and if you weren't a jubilado he gave you a 25% discount too.  Everyone was special.

I'm glad to hear that some jubilados will avoid Retrogusto because of their policy.  It's getting harder to find an unoccupied table there.

Neil who used to own the Branding Iron in Dolega had a similar approach. He had 4 signs posted:

1. Pensionado = 25% discount

2. Locals = 25% discount

3. Tourists = 25% discount

4. All others = 25% discount.

Of course, although humorous, it makes the pensionado discount worthless.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

>>Of course, although humorous, it makes the pensionado discount worthless. <<

 

And I believe the ACODECO has already ruled it illegal. A discount has to be a discount from a real price. If everybody gets a discount then nobody is getting a discount. The government has already seen through this game.

 

Ted 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Panama Bill said:

What the restaurant is doing is against the law and they should be reported to Acodeco. Those of you who have eaten there and have been ripped-off should contact this agency:

ACODECO

LA AUTORIDAD DE PROTECCIÓN AL CONSUMIDOR Y DEFENSA DE LA COMPETENCIA

 

http://www.autoridaddelconsumidor.gob.pa/index.asp

 

Administrador:

Alexis Ortega

Direcciones:

David Centro, Entre Ave 3ra y 2da. Central, Diagonal al Hotel Puerta del Sol

Horario:

8:00am a 4:00pm

Teléfono:

775-2536

 

 

Hi Bill - you have to drop the /index.asp in order to access the site.  I use Google Chrome as my browser and it automatically translated the Spanish to English where it can.

Search for Ley 6 - the laws for los jubiloados pensionados y tercera edad are all there ( in Spanish).  I actually picked up a booklet from them at their booth at fair.

I will call tomorrow to check on how we can get them to investigate.  I asked them about hotels trying to take the discount off the rack rate instead of the daily quoted rate.  They told me to get a quote emailed to me with the price they are charging that day.  The call back later and ask for a quote with the discount.  No matter what they say just ask them to email you .  Then you can take the emails to Acodeco in David and they will definitely take this info and confront the hotels.

You could probably do the same with the restaurant.  Order something and take a picture of the price on the menu and anything else you see written about discounts.

Then after you have eaten you have the bill.  Take the bill and the menu price to Acodeco and I'm sure they can investigate.  If you still have a bill in hand - go back to restaurant and take a picture of the menu.  Maybe they have one you can actually take home for reference.

I haven't eaten there because I find the prices totally ridiculously high.  I am not willing to support people who want to go after the Gringo's.  As was said, there are lots of other places to eat with really good food - including Pianista.

Ley6Jubilados Feb 2016.pdf

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, SweetCityWoman said:

I haven't eaten there because I find the prices totally ridiculously high.  I am not willing to support people who want to go after the Gringo's.  As was said, there are lots of other places to eat with really good food - including Pianista.

Ley6Jubilados Feb 2016.pdf

I love the Pianista but I think Doris is very reluctant to give the pensionado discount. Am I wrong???

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

''I'm glad to hear that some jubilados will avoid Retrogusto because of their policy.  It's getting harder to find an unoccupied table there.''

It is an unfortunate reality that unethical business owners do and will continue to have customers.  Unethical business owners, in my opinion, include those who use child labor in foreign countries to manufacture products, those who torture animals by testing their products on them, and those who move to a new country and thumb their nose at the laws of that country.  Organizations who consider ''net profit'' the only criteria by which to measure success will do just fine without the likes of me, but the ''likes of me'' numbers are increasing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think we all need to keep in mind that, even though the jubilado discount was promoted to expats by the usual suspect businesses encouraging people to move here, the law was not adopted to benefit expats. Rather, it was to aid Panamanian senior citizens who live in reduced circumstances. The influx of expat senior citizens doubtless has caused financial problems for restaurant owners, particularly owners of small restaurants with slim profit margins who cannot raise their prices to compensate for the discounts demanded by expats  without hurting their Panamanian customers. Expats should not even ask for the discount at these establishments. Restaurants who cater to expats, on the other hand, know the law and, rather than flout it, should take it into account when setting their prices. If they need the full amount charged to operate, they should raise the price of meals to cover the discount and then gladly give it. Ignoring the law alienates customers and puts the owners at jeopardy.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We stopped at Retrogusto on Sunday and had a look at the posted menu. The food and service may be terrific there but unfortunately $35 pp is way out of my league. 

We continue to think the Fish House consistently provides very tasty fare at good prices.

They will give a discount if asked.

Edited by Keith Woolford
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...