Collecting cash and school supplies for the elementary children of Los Naranjos in a joint effort with La Junta Comunal de Los Naranjos

NewsLady

I want to thank those who have reached out and contributed. The Representative of La Junta Comunal has gone to pick up a few donations by some of our members which will help a great deal when buying uniforms and school supplies next week.

Much is still needed. PLEASE HELP. Any amount will help $1, $5, $10 anything, even change. Eduardo El Mello is the Representative of the Junta Comunal de Los Naranjos and helping me with the leg work. His number is 6208 7235 or email Marguerite Heffner at panamagirl52@gmail.com  and she will happily coordinate with you so the donation reaches them. If you wish to make a direct donation, please do so at Banco Nacional checking account of Junta Comunal de Los Naranjos account #010000148582
I am also sending $500 in US checks to La Junta Comunal, and I am working with a local Miami church that is helping me raise funds as well. Please help us out. Your donation will help keep these kids in school with proper shoes and uniforms and the necessary supplies.
My goal is to aid the Junta Comunal in providing after school programs, hot breakfasts and help with supplies and uniforms for the 150 extreme poverty families of the district who are attending the elementary school in Los Naranjos. Feel free to contact him directly, or stop by La Junta Comunal with your donations of cash or supplies (pens, pencils, crayons, backpacks, notebooks, chalk, snacks, breakfast bars, powdered milk). Every bit counts.
Thanks so much.

Olga Suarez

There are a number of charitable organizations in the community that provide aid to the schools and to school children. Why create a separate organization for a particular district? Why not work through an existing organization with established credentials and approved accounting practices? It has been my experience that concentrated efforts are superior to scattered ones.

2 hours ago, Penny said:

Anybody else see the irony (and hypocrisy) in this news.boquete email ????

What is really going on? Olga doesn't even live here. Why is she asking us to contribute money to this program? What is her accounting of money donated? I am not anti kid, and already am contributing through channels that have proven their credibility. Why can't her followers on Ning contribute to "her" cause? How can someone who isn't here to support and monitor going to be able to assure those of us coughing up money that it really goes to what has been advertised? This request for money just doesn't pass the smell test and I want nothing to do with it. Surprised this was posted on News Boquete--why was it?

That's the irony and hypocrisy Penny references. Olga won't allow News Boquete to be mentioned on Ning, yet she uses News Boquete to advertise her own efforts. If Penny wanted to play dirty (like Olga does), she could refuse to post anything Olga posts either here or on News Boquete. But that's not Penny.

Edited by Bonnie

2 hours ago, Bonnie said:

That's the irony and hypocrisy Penny references. Olga won't allow News Boquete to be mentioned on Ning, yet she uses News Boquete to advertise her own efforts. If Penny wanted to play dirty (like Olga does), she could refuse to post anything Olga posts either here or on News Boquete. But that's not Penny.

Penny's comment kind of shows the duplicity of Ning and its management. They won't support News Boquete but want to use News Boquete requesting charitable monies for their favorite project. As others have written here, we support the kids of Boquete. My concern is the Ning approach supports only a subset of the needy, and in a manner that appears to me as self-aggrandizing.

Hats off to Penny for being gracious enough to send out Ning's message even though Ning does not play fair. Bravo to Penny.