Grupo Aguas now sells and stocks tank based hot water heaters

Grupo Aguas in Alto Boquete located just north of Ivan's Ferreteria/Supermercado now sells and stocks Rheem brand tank based hot water heaters.  They've got both electric and gas models in 30, 40, and 50 gallon sizes.  The 50 gallon electric and gas models are priced (including tax) at $358 and $480 respectively.  They've even got a stash of spare parts on hand too!

There's a 50 gallon unit with my name on it!  No more having to rely on the folks in David for service!

For those who don't know they're the go to guys in Boquete for all of your water system needs.

https://grupoaguas.com/

Monday – Friday 8.00 am -12.00 pm and 1.00 pm – 5.00 pm Saturday 8.00 am – 12 pm

Phones  +507 720 3637  +507 6676 4715

info@grupoaguas.com

grupo agua hot water heaters.jpg

grupo agua hot water heaters brochure.jpg

I’ve been told, and it seems logical, that a tank type water heater is less efficient and more expensive to operate than on-demand systems. If that is not correct, or if there are other reasons why a tank system is preferred, please educate me.

A tank based system is indeed, less efficient from a fuel consumption point of viw.  The one advantage, I suppose, is no longer messing with on demand heaters to get the correct shower temperature.  The big drawback, for those that like longer showers is that you run out of hot water.  Personally, I like the on demand approach, I have my heaters dialed in to the perfect shower heat.  I have found the trick is to NOT buy the biggest there is - they take too much pressure to maintain a constant heat.  I use 12kw heaters in both the main house and the Casita, the water temperature is steady.

Over the years, I remember reading a fair number of complaints from owners of on-demand heaters. I don't recall reading any from owners of tank heaters. Perhaps selective memory on my part. The average shower uses five gallons of water, not all of it from the water heater unless you have the heater temperature set at the low end. Our household number is two, and we are profligate users of hot water (showers, dishwasher, clothes washer), we have a gas-fired clothes dryer, and we cook on a gas range. Our average gas consumption is 2 pounds of LPG per day, or about $1.50 on the basis of our 100 lb. tank. FWIW.

A few years ago we switched from a gas on-demand to gas tank after the original caught fire - - - best decision we ever made.  Having consistent, reliable hot water is much better with a tank system which outweighs the it being less efficient.  I prefer "wow, that feels great" to "boy, am I ever saving a few dollars".

• Upvote 1

You can get used to it.  It's all in the size of the on-demand unit and the settings.  Low water pressure can cause problems.   Man we LOVE our strong hot showers here with our on demand .  Never fails even when water issues occur !  We installed a nozzle for homes with low pressure.  It works great....peel the skin off your back !  ...and then there's the $25 (or less) electric bill each month.  Life is good!!!