6 Hour Power Outage in Boquete, September 26, 2019

We, the larger Boquete area, had another electrical outage today. It began about 5:15AM and service was restored about 11:15AM, or about six hours.

I got my haircut this afternoon, and learned while at the barber shop that the cause was a transformer that exploded. The faulty transformer was located somewhere between Boquete and Dolega, but exact location was not known. Interesting how quickly bochinche spreads in our community, probably faster than the speed of light.

Today's outage was the re-scheduled shutdown which was cancelled earlier due to inclement weather. The power was supposed to be restored by 9:45 but they ran late.

There are a number of very big crews doing maintenance work all over the country in response to directives from ASEP to improve service.

Edited by Keith Woolford

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

Today's outage was the re-scheduled shutdown which was cancelled earlier due to inclement weather. The power was supposed to be restored by 9:45 but they ran late.

There are a number of very big crews doing maintenance work all over the country in response to directives from ASEP to improve service.

Very interesting posting here, Keith. I joined Twitter for several reasons, one of which was to keep up with local information that is posted on Twitter by the various governmental agencies, the public utilities, etc., that affect our community. I even am a "follower" of Naturgy on Twitter. However, the posting that you highlighted never once appeared in my Twitter feed. By searching for it, I could find it. But that is not my idea of situational notifications. Obviously then I have more to learn about how Twitter works.

An additional bit of information, once I found that posting by Naturgy, I noted that it had been posted about one day in advance of the planned outage. That seems reasonable to me.

One last thing is that now one has to wonder about the bochinche at the barber shop. Experience is that the bochinche is typically very accurate, and extremely timely. So were there two reasons for an outage on Thursday? I'll probably never know.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Hil said:

Lost power last night again. No improvements.

The outage this morning began around 1:15am, and ended at 6:20am. It was one of the more damaging outages in that one pole of the current was present (and changing radically) but the other was absent. That can do a lot of damage to appliances, probably up there with the huge surges. I am not an electrician, so take those last couple of sentences with a grain of salt.

Unlikely, IMHO, that things will improve, but one can hope.

1 minute ago, Moderator_02 said:

The outage this morning began around 1:15am, and ended at 6:20am. It was one of the more damaging outages in that one pole of the current was present (and changing radically) but the other was absent. That can do a lot of damage to appliances, probably up there with the huge surges. I am not an electrician, so take those last couple of sentences with a grain of salt.

Unlikely, IMHO, that things will improve, but one can hope.

I use voltage protection and regulators. My Digital Samsung Fridge won't take this surge and low voltage.