need a U.S. phone number

I Tried Skype which does not have Panama on its list. There are others out there so I am hoping for some advice. I don't have a land line and the extra digit on the cell phones gives problems on certain forms along with verification texts.

I have Skype and call out all the time. Skype offers a U.S. number for incoming calls and text but not in Panama'. The extra digit in Panama cell phones is the problem sometimes with forms and verifications.

I’ve read this topic several times and still do not understand what the problem is. I do understand that Skype does not offer Panama phone numbers like they do for some other countries.

To answer your question, we do have Skype, but don’t use it very much because of the quality of the audio when talking. We have and use all the time a “business” phone service using VOIP technology through a company based in Arizona called Nextiva. That service allows us to pick any state for our phone number (we selected a 713 area code number since we vote in Houston) plus unlimited incoming and outgoing FAX service (also using a separate 713 number) that has saved our bacon on several occasions. They also provide an app for our iPad that means the Houston number “follows” with us while in travel mode anywhere in the world, providing we have [good] Internet access. Both phone numbers are unlimited calling to anywhere in the US and Canada, and very attractive rates per minute for international calling (meaning any number outside of the US and Canada). I sometimes even use our Houston line when calling to PC because the quality of the audio is so much better than using our Panama landline service. (We are not big on using cell service.) The expensive part of Nextiva is buying the phone instrument itself, which is a one-time thing. You do need good Internet service, but that applies to Skype as well because they both are VOIP technology.

Hello:  I use a service called TextMeUp -----  http://www.textmeup.com  

I signed up for a free U.S. phone number that I can receive text messages on for free and that I can use to make phone calls to the U.S. (as long as I am signed onto a U.S. server via my VPN).  If you do not use a VPN, then this would not work - for free anyway.

You can use your phone, tablet, or computer.  You can have multiple phone numbers. You can check out their website if you're interested.

Brian