Political activity by expats

Bonnie

In the 12 years I have lived in Panama, I have always heard that expats are not allowed to participate in Panama politics. So last week, shortly before I left my position as a Citizen Volunteer Liaison for the U.S. Embassy, I wrote asking for clarification of Panamanian law relative to expats' participation in Panama political campaigns. You may be interested in the Embassy's response:

-          Under PNM Law, foreigners cannot vote in Panamanian elections and cannot provide financial support to political campaigns;

-          Foreigners can support a political candidate by participating in their campaigns (i.e., wearing their t-shirts, accompanying them to activities, etc.

3 hours ago, Bonnie said:

-          Foreigners can support a political candidate by participating in their campaigns (i.e., wearing their t-shirts, accompanying them to activities, etc.

Any of the above actions indicate an expression of opinion, so written and verbal opinions made by foreigners must also be allowable.

Correct?

7 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

Any of the above actions indicate an expression of opinion, so written and verbal opinions made by foreigners must also be allowable.

Correct?

My interpretation is that so log as a foreigner doesn't vote or contribute money, any other participation in politics is allowable--even though it doesn't explicitly address the expression of political opinions.

• 4 years later...