Remembering Panama’s 1964 Schoolboy Martyrs

8 minutes ago, Keith Woolford said:

The film reviews the history of the Panama Canal Zone and the events of January 9th, 1964.

Not true, the film is about two different events, one occurring in 1964 and one 25 years later in 1989, both portrayed with an anti-American bias.

Perdoname.

Besides chronicling the 1989 invasion..

The film reviews the history of the Panama Canal Zone and the events of January 9th, 1964.

..from a Panamanian perspective.

portrayed with an anti-American bias

pure anti-American propaganda"

Today is about Panamanian martyrs, not the image of others.

image.png.78c3dd995e4dab2620b2f1c93b673b0a.png

Edited by Keith Woolford

Keith and all

Below is the link that explain, more or less in english,  the events of the 9 de Enero de 1964 in Panama.  

I have to say that I have a cousin that participated as a high school student marching with the Panamanian flag to the Balboa High School.  He is alive.  He told us all the bad things that happened the day they went to Balboa High School and how they were insulted, spitted and their flag was destroyed and torn by the Zonians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martyrs'_Day_(Panama)

Image result for 9 de enero panama

The guy holding the flag at the right of the student with glasses is my cousin.  Inocencio Garcia.

Image result for 9 de enero panama

My cousin is the third guy from left.  Watching the torn Panamanian flag.  Flag that was taken abruptly from their hands by zonians students and their parents.

Related image

My cousin is the first on the left holding the flag while talking with the Canal Zone Governor in front of the Administration Building and Balboa High School.

This violent act against the Panamanian flag was the spark that fired all the other events in that day and following 3 to 4 days.

"Only one flag.  Only one territory".  

Stones and rocks vs bullets and shotguns.

• Upvote 1

On 1/9/2018 at 11:41 AM, Keith Woolford said:

These documentaries ( all of them from Keith and Roger)  are excellent and worth time to view.

Edited by Brundageba
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Brundageba said:

These documentaries ( all of them from Keith and Roger)  are excellent and worth time to view.

Thanks.  I have to say that Keith is a person that I do really admire because he is always trying to be informed and keep informed the community and people of ths sites he constributes with his posts about Panama.  That says much about the kind of person he is.  My respects to Keith.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 11 months later...

Martyr's Day is Wednesday, but my Animales calendar indicates that it will be observed tomorrow. However, I contacted Retrogusto about reservations on Wednesday and was told that they would be closed for Martyr's Day.

My question is: is everything closed tomorrow or Wednesday (or both)? I ask because I have a dog that needs to see a vet and am wondering if I can take him tomorrow or if he'll have to wait until Tuesday.

• Moderators

Remembering Panama’s 1964 schoolboy martyrs

martyrs.jpg 
President Varela in the Garden of Peace
Post Views: 249

The lowering  of the national flag to  half mast on Wednesday in the Plaza Independencia, in Casco Viejo, by President, Juan Carlos Varela, accompanied by Cabinet Ministers and relatives of the victims, was the first  of multiple commemorative  acts   to mark the martyrdom  of   high school students on January 9, 1964 which ultimately led to control of the US-built canal passing  to Panama.

The president and entourage later paid tribute at The Garden of  Peace .

https://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/remembering-the-1964-martyrs

• 11 months later...
  • Moderators

President Cortizo leads Martyrs Day remembrance

martyrsj.jpeg

Posted 09/01/2020

On Martyrs Day, Thursday  The Panama Government,  led by President Laurentino  Cortizo. civil groups and organizations joined survivors and family of the events of January 9, 1964  when 21 Panamanians died while confronting American authorities over a dispute over the raising of the Panamanian flag at a school in the  Canal Zone.

It was a date that marked the struggle for the sovereignty of the country leading to the Torrijos-Carter accord and the handing over of the US-built Canal to Panama at the start of the century.

On Ancon hill, and across the country  Panama flag flew at half-mast as a sign of respect and remembrance of the martyrs those who gave their lives.  

A few weeks ago the country celebrated 20 years of the Panama Canal reversion, which

would not have been possible without all the events that were the outcome of the tense relationship between the Panamanian and American population with a presence in the former Canal Zone reports TVN.

It recalled that after negotiations it had been agreed in 1962, that the flags of both nations should fly in civil places of the Canal Zone, however, when the date for implementation arrived January 1, 1964 a group of Zonians ignored the orders and refused to raise the Panamanian flag.

The news angered many Panamanians and on January 9, students from the National Institute marched carrying the flag to be raised at Balboa High School, where a crowd of American students and their families were waiting.

Fights broke out and from then spiraled downwards with the Panamanian population believing that it had been outraged and the ensuing confrontation with the US military-led to the death of at least 21 Panamanians.

Memorial activities on  Thursday began in the Garden of Peace, where the martyrs are buried. and continued In the Ascanio Arosemena Training Center, which maintains the eternal flame.

https://www.newsroompanama.com/news/president-cortizo-leads-martyrs-day-remembrance

• Moderator_02 changed the title to Remembering Panama’s 1964 Schoolboy Martyrs
  • 11 months later...
  • Moderators

Survivors mark Martyrs' Day

martyrsj.jpeg

Posted 09/01/2021

At 9 am on Friday, January 9 in the midst of total quarantine,   a small group of Panamanians went to the Garden of Peace where the remains of those considered martyrs in the events  of 57 years ago rest  Commemorated as Martyrs' Day it marks,  the day in 1964 when mostly high school students fought to raise the Panamanian flag in the  Canal  Zone restricted to nationals).

Alfonso González, one of the survivors of the event  thanked   the people for not forgetting the date, despite the circumstances.

"Thank God for giving us the opportunity to accompany the fallen comrades and the entire Panamanian people for another year, thank you for your gratitude," González said.

https://www.newsroompanama.com/news/survivors-mark-martyrs039-day-1