Truckers Strike Thursday & Friday

Does anybody know anything more about the Truckers Strike supposedly happening in David today and tomorrow. I believe they're going to block the Pan American highway. Apparently both Varela and the president of Taiwan are in town and the truckers are using this opportunity to express their displeasure over something.

I plan on going to see the Star Wars movie on Friday but will take the overpass and then on to Theater Nacional so I'm hoping this route will be OK.

8 minutes ago, Penny said:

Does anybody know anything more about the Truckers Strike supposedly happening in David today and tomorrow. I believe they're going to block the Pan American highway. Apparently both Varela and the president of Taiwan are in town and the truckers are using this opportunity to express their displeasure over something.

I plan on going to see the Star Wars movie on Friday but will take the overpass and then on to Theater Nacional so I'm hoping this route will be OK.

I see nothing on NewsPanama today about a Truckers Strike in David.

1 hour ago, Penny said:

I really looked forward to that movie.  It was a big disappointment, made for 12 year old boys IMO.  It didn't have the humor or gripping story of the original three, just a lot of shooting and fighting.  I think I fell asleep once during it.  Let me know what you think.

• 4 weeks later...

I received this email a few minutes ago.

Travel Security Online

10 Feb 2016

Panama: Chiriquí province: Truck drivers strike from 15 February likely to cause disruption; reconfirm routes

Members should expect likely disruption to road travel during a strike from 15 February by Canatraca and the Chiriqui truckers' union in Chiriquí province. The work stoppage is being organised due to a dispute over customs policies. Reports suggest that the walkout is likely to involve protesters blocking access to the city of Paso Canoas, located on the border with Costa Rica, on the Pan-American Highway.

Travel Advice

• Reconfirm the status of routes and border crossings before setting out and allow additional time to complete journeys due to the potential for protests and roadblocks.
  • Do not cross any roadblocks, as this may prompt a hostile response from protesters. If you encounter a blockade, turn around and seek an alternative route.
  • Liaise with local contacts for information on any planned demonstrations in your area; avoid all such gatherings due to the potential for clashes between the police and protesters.

• Upvote 1