1 hour ago, Bonnie said:

"City of God" is available on Amazon video for $2.99 or free for Amazon Prime members.

That might explain why no takers for the DVD. I just assumed it was because of the content of the movie, but maybe it was the cheaper price elsewhere. Hmmm, perhaps both reasons?

• 4 months later...

This CBC report explores the non-effects of the Rio Olympics in the same City of God favela.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/rio-olympics-city-of-god-favela-1.3710522

On 27 de marzo de 2016 at 11:25 AM, Brundageba said:

I agree with Keith.  The movie " City of God" brought light to the problems surrounding Rio de Janeiro.  Change has happened there.  It's not a forever horror story as Marko has described there in Medellin.    BUT, police, legislators, the public and businessmen of Panama  all need to share some responsibility to make that change happen in a country.  Many here think just changing a few laws concerning juvenile crime, or increasing the amount of jails is enough.  It's not enough.  It has to be a totally comprehensive plan.   Solid education and opportunity for all children is at the core. For the poor here, education is lacking in Panama.   Meanwhile, until this kid crime spree comes to a halt here, we need to have some understanding of how these juvenile gangs evolve and as well their mentality.  It is scary and certainly not pleasant  that's why Bud couldn't stomach watching the movie.  I can fully understand.  24/7 both my husband and I are on our guard.  We're not happy with living like that, but for now it is what it is.  We do what we can...everything we can within reason.