Importance of Enrolling in STEP Program

Bonnie

Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)

What is STEP?

The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service that allows U.S. citizens traveling or living abroad to enroll with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

Benefits of enrolling in STEP:

• Receive the latest safety and security information for your destination country, helping you make informed decisions about your travel plans.
  • Help the U.S. Embassy contact you in an emergency, whether natural disaster, civil unrest, or family emergency.
  • Help family and friends get in touch with you in an emergency.

Stay Informed.

When you enroll in STEP, you will automatically receive the most current information we have about your destination country, including:

Just sign up once, and then add trips later for all your future travel plans!

Stay Connected.

Enrolling in STEP will help the U.S. Embassy to contact you and provide assistance to you in an emergency. The information you provide in STEP will make it easier for consular officers at U.S. embassies and consulates around the world to contact you and your loved ones during an emergency — including situations where your family or friends in the U.S. are having difficulty contacting you with important news.

Stay Safe.

We believe that a well-informed traveler is a safer traveler. Our consular officers around the world compile country information, Travel Advisories, fact sheets and emergency messages to provide you with timely and accurate information about every country where you may travel.

We include reports on risks and security threats so that you can make informed decisions about your travel plans and activities.

Stay informed by connecting with us via the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program so you can have safe and enjoyable travels!

Enroll Here

[In the event that the link does not work for you, the URL is https.//step.state.gov/step]

Your Privacy Is Paramount

All the personal information you provide to us is protected under the Privacy Act of 1974.  This law prohibits us from sharing the information with anyone without your written authorization. Certain exceptions exist, such as when we need to share information on a limited basis in order to protect your safety and welfare in an emergency.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marcelyn said:
1 hour ago, Brundageba said:

I have made several attempts at enrolling and always came into some roadblock  with it and gave up.

I just signed up this morning for myself and my wife .... no problems.  If you want, I can assist you in signing up for this - I would be happy to help.  My WhatsApp number is 6916-8521 (phone or text)?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Marcelyn said:

I believe this STEP program is a good idea, but considering the many changes at the US Embassy in Panama will it work now?

I’m enrolled, and I receive all Embassy messages. (I actually receive all messages twice because they come to me as ACL.). This is an automatically generated email program. And, as an ACL, I can testify that having emergency information on file with the Embassy can be vital in the event of an emergency. This is standard, long-standing stuff and largely independent of other Embassy functions subject to change.