Is this the forum Ambreen described? (a transplanted blog posting)

• Administrators

This posting is being done by the staff to relocate a blog posting and its replies to a more appropriate place on this website. For technical reasons we do not have the ability to relocate a blog into the bulletin board forums. (We have the tools to relocate topics and postings within the forums, but just not between different "channels" of this website.)

So as not to be accused of deleting any content, the blog that was begun by Jaime Daniel and containing one posting and six comments is captured as a PDF file and attached herewith. See the link at the very bottom of this posting.

The sole reason (read these words carefully) that the blog was locked and relocated is that its content does not belong in a blog. The content is discussing some rumors and personal thoughts. That kind of content properly belongs in the bulletin board forums. The blog was not locked because of displeasure with the content. Jaime and others have not violated any of this website's Governance Documents, other than posting in the wrong forum.

Unfortunately, the only technical means for relocating a blog results in an awkward situation for everyone. If you wish to continue responding to the content of the blog, please do so here in this forum as a reply to this posting. Further, I cannot put Jaime's name as the originator of this posting (for several reasons, and it would be inappropriate to credit him since he did not write what I am writing). I hope everyone can understand.

Click the below link to see the four page PDF containing the transplanted content from Jaime Daniel's blog:

New Ning forum by Jaime Daniel - Is this the forum Ambreen described.pdf

Edited by Admin_01

OK, so the blog post has been moved.   I can appreciate the effort to keep the site organized but most of us are more interested in the questions being asked.   

1.  Is Bud Huber still the owner of the site?
2.  Why was his name removed from "Real Names" ?
3.  Why are there suddenly 5 Admin accounts?
4.  Jamie's orginal post from Ambreen would seem to indicate that this site is linking to or becoming part of the boquete.ning operation.

For the sake of clarity, honesty and openness that your current membership is searching for, please take a moment to respond now that your housecleaning task of moving this thread to a new location has been complete.   Thank you.

• Upvote 1

• Administrators

OK, so the blog post has been moved.   I can appreciate the effort to keep the site organized but most of us are more interested in the questions being asked.   

1.  Is Bud Huber still the owner of the site?
2.  Why was his name removed from "Real Names" ?
3.  Why are there suddenly 5 Admin accounts?
4.  Jamie's orginal post from Ambreen would seem to indicate that this site is linking to or becoming part of the boquete.ning operation.

For the sake of clarity, honesty and openness that your current membership is searching for, please take a moment to respond now that your housecleaning task of moving this thread to a new location has been complete.   Thank you.

Dear Twin Wolf, et al,

1. The owners of Chiriqui Life (CL) are Bud Huber and wife.
  2. My name was not removed from the Real Name field in my profile. I note that you viewed my profile about 9 hours ago (as have others). It clearly shows my name (Bud Huber) as the real name for Admin_01. Please check again and advise if you see something other than Bud Huber.
  3. In other communications I noted that we were having software problems and that I was unable to create any other admin or moderator accounts. I opened a trouble ticket with the software vendor (IPS). That problem was resolved yesterday afternoon, resulting in my ability finally to create additional admin and moderator accounts. That is precisely what was done. We now have five admin account (plus a special admin used by the software vendor), and five moderator accounts. There are no names associated with these new accounts because those positions have not yet been allocated. That will take time because training is necessary with this fairly sophisticated software.
  4. There is no linking of CL with any other site. CL is a standalone service not associated with, linked to, or dependent upon anyone else or any other system.

You did not ask, but CL was initiated as a project several months ago at the urging of many expats in this area because they wanted alternative information resources. You might wish to view Significant Milestones.

Glad that you asked those question publicly so that all can see what the truth really is.

Let me know if you have additional questions or concerns.

Thanks again, have a great day!

Bud Huber, Admin_01

Bud, thank you for your reply.   I always prefer to go to the source to ask the questions.   While I am sure you are busy with the management of the site and a hundred other things, it is my opinion that taking time to respond here as you did will help comfort your growing membership.   Openness and transparency are the one key feature everyone is searching for.

I am still seeing the Real Name as Admin.   See attached screen shot.

admin-real-name.png

Hola, All,

I'd like to again thank Mr. Huber (not to mention HIS Boss!) for the creation of chiriqui.life. While nascent, and obviously still formative, this site is also obviously a labor of love. I have a great deal of appreciation and admiration.

There's a lot of stuff going on down there. There are serious issues to grapple with, along with the more mundane day-to-day wrestling matches, problems encountered, and hurdles to leap over. Couple that with the fact that there are still many, many folks developing serious interest in Panama, and the need for a resource such as chiriqui.life is glaringly apparent.

As has been witnessed elsewhere, there is also a seeming gap to be filled with people's interest in sharing commentary, observations, and opinions. We're it my decision to make, I would encourage the exchange of ideas along with the exchange of information -- within the boundaries of good sense and common courtesy, of course! I've been informed that wryawry wants to come out and play ....

Bueno suerte, Sr. Huber, y mas gracias,

Davitt

• Administrators

Bud, thank you for your reply.   I always prefer to go to the source to ask the questions.   While I am sure you are busy with the management of the site and a hundred other things, it is my opinion that taking time to respond here as you did will help comfort your growing membership.   Openness and transparency are the one key feature everyone is searching for.

I am still seeing the Real Name as Admin.   See attached screen shot.

admin-real-name.png

Dear Twin Wolf, et al,

Please re-read my post responding to your questions. There is no skulduggery or behind the curtain shenanigans going on here.

Dear Twin Wolf, et al,

1. The owners of Chiriqui Life (CL) are Bud Huber and wife.
  2. My name was not removed from the Real Name field in my profile. I note that you viewed my profile about 9 hours ago (as have others). It clearly shows my name (Bud Huber) as the real name for Admin_01. Please check again and advise if you see something other than Bud Huber.
  3. In other communications I noted that we were having software problems and that I was unable to create any other admin or moderator accounts. I opened a trouble ticket with the software vendor (IPS). That problem was resolved yesterday afternoon, resulting in my ability finally to create additional admin and moderator accounts. That is precisely what was done. We now have five admin account (plus a special admin used by the software vendor), and five moderator accounts. There are no names associated with these new accounts because those positions have not yet been allocated. That will take time because training is necessary with this fairly sophisticated software.
  4. There is no linking of CL with any other site. CL is a standalone service not associated with, linked to, or dependent upon anyone else or any other system.

You did not ask, but CL was initiated as a project several months ago at the urging of many expats in this area because they wanted alternative information resources. You might wish to view Significant Milestones.

Glad that you asked those question publicly so that all can see what the truth really is.

Let me know if you have additional questions or concerns.

Thanks again, have a great day!

Bud Huber, Admin_01

Note my delineation of the administrator accounts (and please ignore my spelling errors) as they exist as of late yesterday afternoon:

• Admin (this is a special admin account, see below); not used for routine administration of this website
  • Admin_01
  • Admin_02
  • Admin_03
  • Admin_04
  • Admin_05
  • Moderator_01
  • Moderator_02
  • Moderator_03
  • Moderator_04
  • Moderator_05

You will see five administrator accounts plus one special administrator account. You will also see five moderator accounts. 'Admin' is a different account from 'Admin_01.' I, Bud Huber, am Admin_01. No other admin accounts and no moderator accounts have been assigned. For the moment, I am it.

The 'Admin' account is a special admin account used only by the software vendor, and only when I authorize its use. That special admin account is used for system diagnostic purposes only by the software vendor, not administration of the content or membership database. The 'Admin' account has only been used once since activating this website several weeks ago; that use was from Friday of last week through Monday afternoon (yesterday), and was related to the fact that I was unable to create management level accounts,(meaning admin and moderator accounts). Fortunately that software glitch has now been fixed. The delay in configuring this website for more management accounts was a real thorn in my side.

I ask that you look at the Admin_01 profile again and you will see that nothing has changed. My name is still there as it has been from the beginning. There are no names for the other management accounts because there are no people filling those responsibilities.

Given the sensitivities around anonymity, and referring to your comment ("Openness and transparency are the one key feature everyone is searching for."), I see a problem coming for the future admins and moderators. Several candidates have told me that they would volunteer only if able to do so anonymously. Their reluctance is based on experiences by other moderators and administrators and volunteers being maligned, abused, and so forth by other websites and user groups. So far I have not been able to find anyone willing to volunteer as a moderator and to do so with name identification. My current (hopefully temporary) policy is that volunteers will be allowed to work anonymously, with the exception of myself as Admin_01.

As an aside, I must have one backup administrator in case something happens to me or we are traveling (which is frequently), and  two would be better. I would like to have three or four moderators that rotate around. The future issue for me is getting competent volunteers (everything is on an unpaid voluntary basis), properly vetted, who do not object to public visibility. Not an easy task.

I appreciate your continued interest and inquiries. The word 'transparency' is overused in today's world, but that is basically what we are seeking and trying to provide in this website.

If I can be of further assistance, please ask.

I have read and re-read the blog posting by Ambreem several times and I'm still confused! Not at all sure what she is trying to say, but it could be a new design (attempt) to explain a new "ning".  Just my guess--not sure,  Maybe trying to wash away past problems?

Any more thoughts out there?

I am sure we will learn of another new site if in fact Ning has an additional affiliate site.   Somehow, I doubt they do because of the way they are mismanaging the current site.   It is clear they are not interested in an open community website. so why start another one?   My ultimate conclusion on the new Ning is that the JLM group is probably similar to International Living, and is concerned with selling real estate and inciting people to move here.   What and see who their future new advertisers are and that will give us all a clue.

They originally added tabs called "Spotlight Boquete" and "Property Spotlight".   I am guessing those tabs will link to some sort of real estate and property investment website.   In fact, that might be what she was referring to.   Both Ambreen and Bob Hunter seem to have trouble communicating clearly, in part because they are trying to remain as anonymous as possible.   Clearly this is a red flag if they are going the route of real estate and investments.

Watch and see... its is another chapter in the soap opera called Ning.

Twin Wolf:  Your suggestion of ning maybe changing to some sort of real estate/property investment site (like "International Living" sounds like a possibility of a larger income for the new owners.  (Me wonders if this was the original intent of these guys???)

• Upvote 1

I believe that was their intent all along.   Just speculating here, but it may explain their desire to remain anonymous too.   One technique that is used online to give legitimacy to sales is to point to other "independent" websites that backup their claims.   So in this case, a real estate/property investment site would point to ning as proof that this is the paradise they are selling.   By remaining anonymous, the average person has no way to realize that both the sales/investment site and the ning site are owned and operated by the same group.   It would then appear to be an independent view of life in Boquete, giving them the window dressing they need to help sell real estate or investment properties.   

When I look at everything, the one thing that sticks out is WHY would you want to remain anonymous?   There has to be a benefit and a reason to the secrecy.   It takes great effort to try to remain anonymous, especially to a membership of thousands.   

Again, this is pure speculation on my part.   I can think of no other reason why someone that does not live here, would spend money to purchase the ning site.  While it makes money from the current 9 advertisers, there has to be some sort of larger long term financial gain we are not seeing.    I believe they appear inept to us because ning is just window dressing for something else.   This is certainly not the main way JLM Foundation makes its money.

Then again maybe I am a conspiracy nut case and they are actually incredibly inept...   time will tell.

Edited by Twin Wolf Technology Group

Sr. Twin Wolf has great questions about JLM and boquete.ning.  Also the questions about people getting banned has interest.

I have a thought that makes me wonder, if Sr. Keith Wolford is a member here and I saw a discussion that he is a part owner of boquete.ning, why not ask to him directly these questions?  He was doing moderator functions and as a part owner he should know all of the answers?

I will let Keith answer for himself but I am 99% sure that Keith was never part owner.   He had a short term as moderator before Ambreen took over.   I suspect that Keith was kept as much in the dark as Fran was.   From everything I have been able to learn, the internal structure was kept a secret from even the moderators.

Keith?

Well there is a disappointment.   I guess Keith does not want to "come clean" and put the rumors to rest.  At least he responded, albeit in Patrick style.

The funny thing about secrecy is the truth always comes out in the end usually embarrassing those who tried to keep things hidden.

Agree Keith.  It is disheartening to see the posts about Ning and who did or knew what and when.  Who cares?  It amounts to gossip and speculation and is not at all interesting. 

Surely there are more important topics than picking at this scab?

Like this photo ...being grateful for the bounty from our greenhouse. 

wilma.jpg

Edited by Pat and Susan
added comment

"disheartening"? To whom? That seems to me to be a strange way of characterizing this whole boquetening.com train wreck. And of course, IF the owners had been more open about their identities and agendas, there would be absolutely no need for gossip and speculation. Keith has made it clear that he has no interest in talking about any of this, which is fine in my opinion. I suspect, though, in time, we're going to know more than we ever wanted to about Bob, Ambreen, and the rest of the goofy JLM team.

If this topic has no interest to you, why not just skip over it?

Really Pat and Susan?  "Who cares?"   First, I would think YOU would care as all your hard work for the Rolodex group is on the chopping block.  Your statement surprises me.   Next, I believe the advertisers care.   They paid for advertising on a site with a certain demographic and membership base.   The massive change leaves the advertisers looking for answers.   I believe the community cares because Ning has long represented the values and the people themselves.   It is now an artificial representation that excludes some of the most important members of the community.

Lastly, it appears that several people still ponder the dramatic change and this is the one place they are allowed to discuss it.   Nobody in this discussion was being malicious, merely speculating.   If you do not "find it at all interesting" (your words) then I question why you responded and did not simply move on?   I can only guess that the dramatic ning change is a source of discomfort for you as well as everyone else and you are wishing it would just go away.

I think everyone here is grateful.   Grateful to have a place were both you and I can have opposing opinions, post them and discuss them without being banished.   I continue to read this blog for more important topics.   Perhaps you might start the Rolodex feature here, that would certainly be important and interesting.  If not starting it here, perhaps you and I could work together to get that information to another site that would be useful to the entire community.

Respectfully - Dan

New forum, new day.  Now's everyone's chance to think before posting personal opinions, representing everyone's. 

I am not disheartened, and I do care about who is butchering Ning, and for what ulterior motive.  Lee and I were friends for over six years, and I feel it a personal obligation to out these cowardly bastards who are taking advantage of the exceptional site he created.

Edited by Chica de Chiriqui
  • Upvote 2